10.05.2014

Before We Head Out for This Weekend's Adventure...

I should show you the most recent one.  Last weekend we went back to Goat Rocks Wilderness in Washington for what turned out to be two spectacular nights.  Our hike out on day one was hot and sunny.  It turned from Summer to Fall overnight, both on the calendar and weather-wise.  We camped at a spot where we watched the Summer sun set over the Cascades in the evening.  And the following morning we had views of clouds that had settled into the valley below us that looked like lakes nestled in among the peaks.  We hiked up Old Snowy Mountain, saw storms and rainbows in the distance, and made our way to Goat Lake for our second night.  It was as breath-taking as I'd remembered it from last summer.














I promise that this space won't turn into a backpacking journal (at least not solely a backpacking journal).  We're heading back to Mount Hood today, and I'm sure you'll hear about that, but jewelry will follow soon enough.

4 comments:

nicolecprevost said...

Beautiful as always, Susan. I'd love to have coffee sometime and ask more about your adventures, and to catch up. Let me know if you're free sometime. --Nicole

Carolyn said...

WOW!! What an amazing vista

Mom said...

I second that WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Love, Mom

Mike Nettleton said...

Gaudy pics! I can't believe I never went to Goat Rocks, not even for a day hike.

BTW I recently took Josey for a hike and found a copy of the book "Wild" at the trailhead. I threw it in my car for the rare but treasured reading sessions that happen when Chloe is asleep in the car, or waiting for Chloe here or there, etc. Anyway, to the point, I got about 40 pages into it so far and in one regard it reminded me of you — someone who wasn't particularly interested in backpacking at first but then takes to it like a duck to water. You're a duck!