8.13.2014

Campylovacter and the Super Moon

When I mentioned that Barry and I weren't feeling well last week, I thought we were on the healing end of what was just a bad weekend.  I had no idea how much worse things were going to get.  Barry and I both dealt with fevers, aches and pains, and extremely upset stomachs for several days.  After I found myself writhing on the floor in fetal position and in tears due to insane abdominal pain, my doctor ordered a CT scan.  Apparently my insides did not look good.  The tech who read the results asked my doctor if I'd been to Africa recently.  Um, no.  But another test revealed that a nasty bacterial infection was wreaking havoc on my intestines.  Barry's, too.  A week of misery and a round of antibiotics later, we finally felt human again.  Having lost one weekend to illness, we were more determined than ever to have a wonderful weekend.  After shaking the campylovacter bug and with a super moon falling on our days off, we decided that a backpacking trip to Mount St. Helens was in order.








 

 



We hiked up to the Plains of Abraham for an unobstructed view of the moon, watched it rise over the practically treeless landscape, and slept nearby on the pumice deposits.  It was my first camping experience without a tent, sleeping in the open air under the stars, and it was spectacular.  The temperature was just right, the sky was stunning, and aside from two guys on mountain bikes, we had the scenery all to ourselves.  It was perfect.  Campylovacter be damned!  We're back and determined to backpack the hell out of the rest of this summer.

4 comments:

Mom said...

Love the funny shape of those sleeping bags, look Egyptian!! Mom

Bonnie said...

Ah stomach bugs. Charlotte managed to get e. coli once after a weekend in Maine for a wedding...nice call from the state public health department about that one. Glad you got some doctor's help and are feeling better!

Mike Nettleton said...

Props for getting back out there so quickly. Doesn't hurt to have all the beautiful PNW wilderness in your backyard.

Cheryl Arkison said...

You are one of the few people I know who would respond to a nasty stomach bug with another camping trip. Looks totally worth it.