3.11.2014

Lunch Break

It's silly to say there's a lot going on in my life right now.  There's a lot going on in everyone's life all the time.  And usually my life is pretty care-free.  It's a little less care-free than usual right now, though.  So it was nice to take a break with Barry yesterday on our one day off together this week to try out a couple new Portland food spots and relax for an afternoon.

We had lunch at The Sudra, a vegan Indian restaurant on NE Glisan.  The menu was small (so was the restaurant) and most of the dishes' descriptions sounded a lot like one another.  I'll admit that I had my doubts before ordering, but I was pleasantly surprised when our food was served.  The ingredients and combinations of flavors at The Sudra aren't what I'm used to having at Indian restaurants (I'll always have a place in my heart for Gandhi in Astoria, Queens), but everything was delicious.  Barry's dish - the chickpea cutlet plate - was awesome.  The ginger molasses root vegetables that came as a side on his plate were the best part of the meal.  I loved the collards in warm dressing that came with mine.  We'll definitely go back to The Sudra for tasty, casual meals.


 


After a little strolling around, a visit to Palace, and some record shopping, we stopped at Angel Face for a late afternoon snack.  We've been anxiously awaiting the opening of this bar located next to and owned by the same proprietor as one of our favorite Portland restaurants, Navarre.  The sun was out, hitting the hand-painted walls of the space just right.  We had excellent service, sipped drinks served in gorgeous glasses, and shared a meat board.  Barry's a sucker for marble table tops.  And I'm a sucker for neighborhood-y romantic spots.  We'll be back once Angel Face has had a little more time to settle into itself.  It only opened four days ago, so we're excited to see where it goes. 





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Think you know what I am going to write about Angel Face - that should have counted as dessert!!!!

I owe you one! Love, Mom

kristi said...

Hello!
I just wanted to pop by to say hello and let you know that I enjoy seeing Portland through your eyes. I do miss that city...
(and I will never tire of seeing how sweet your mom is! I wish I could borrow her!)
Cheers to taking little breaks with lovely food.
And cheers to ladies who keep on keepin on even when the going gets a little tougher than usual.
Greetings from Zurich,
Kristi

Connie said...

Glad you had a chance to relax on what looks like a sunny day!