10.13.2013

On The Seventh Day

I'm coming up on my third six-day work week in a month, but I'm not complaining.  Building up all those extra days of work is going to pay off wonderfully next week... my birthday week!  But I'm getting ahead of myself.  This is about today.  A glorious, warm, sunny fall day in Portland that has goodness written all over it.  Because I'll just one day off this week, I was serious about making it awesome.  It all started with country brown bread from Ken's with goat cheese and honey.  May I recommend buying the 1.5 kilogram loaf so you can eat it for every meal (not with every meal - for every meal) for a few days?


I made stops at two local bead shops to stock up on jewelry-making supplies and got excited about new designs that will be ready in time for the holidays.  I then spent a good bit of the afternoon visiting several stops on the Portland Open Studios tour.  I particularly liked the work of Therese Murdza:

 


And some non-glass art by glass artist, Opie Hileman:



I saw some beautiful ceramic work by a couple different artists, too, that make me want more than ever to take a ceramics course.  After all the studio-hopping, I stopped at Roman Candle Baking Co. for the first time.  Thumbs up to the pumpkin danish with cream cheese and salted seeds.

 


Now I'm sitting in a stream of sunlight, admiring the painting that Barry and I found at last year's Open Studios, getting mentally prepared for a work trip to LA that I'm going on tomorrow, and thinking about the risotto with leeks and acorn squash that I'm going to make for dinner (you know, to accompany the country brown bread).  This week, a one-day weekend was just about right.

4 comments:

opie hileman said...

Thanks for the visit and kind words!

Connie said...

pumpkin danish, you say? mmmm

Mom said...

Want the recipe! Love, Mom

Mom said...

Want the risotto recipe! Love,Mom