9.25.2013

Like Flipping a Switch

Fall weather descended upon Portland promptly on the first day of the season.  We had such a wonderful, long summer that I think I'm ready to face some of the wet grey skies that are sure to come our way and then linger for months.  I have a reserve of sunshine in me that I built up this summer, but I know it won't last all season long.  So Barry and I have prepared ourselves with a list of things to do this fall and winter to keep the blues away.

Hiking/Camping/Backpacking: When the weather allows, or when we get better rain gear, we're heading outside as much as we can.

Living Room Theaters: Every Monday is the plan.  Five dollar tickets, the cushiest seats ever, intimate little viewing rooms, great food and drink... heck the set-up is so good that it doesn't matter what's showing - we're going to be there.  We started our new weekly habit this Monday and even though the movie we saw was merely okay, the experience was great.  Just knowing that we were comfy and cozy while it was pouring outside made it fun.  I've never been big on going to the movies, but this place is making me a convert.

Galleries: We plan to regularly visit our favorite neighborhood art galleries and check out ones that we haven't been to around town.  Bookend said visits with coffee and cafe treats.

Game Nights: Some oldie but goodies and some new-to-us games.  Comforting food and drink.  Friends.  Easy.  And obvious.  So why haven't we done this before?

Books, Books, Books: You may remember that earlier this year, Barry and I took turns reading a book to one another.  We've chosen another one for the Fall (we tried reading it this summer but reading to one another thing seems to be better suited to cold weather than hot for some reason).  I've got a list of titles to read myself, including Dissident Gardens by Jonathan Lethem, a couple by Jeffrey Eugenides (I'm coming to them a bit late after reading The Marriage Plot this summer), and several from Sheri's Great Fall Book List.

Be A Homebody When Necessary: I want to be intentional about being out and about on dreary days, but I can't deny how much comfort I find in our home.  And on some messy days, I'm going to find total contentment by staying put.  Afternoon light often hits our place just right, even on rainy days.  Good music on the record player, stacks of books, plenty of recipes to work my way through in the kitchen.  I'm looking forward to hours of it all.



 
 

2 comments:

Mom said...

Dear Suzy,

As always your loft looks spectacular! Looking forward to your recipes and photos! Love, Mom

marissa said...

It all sounds so cozy and romantic and wonderful. I love your list and the relationship you and your husband/bff have with each other.