5.30.2013

The Anti-Barbecue

The weather in Portland this Memorial Day was not conducive to barbecuing.  Not that we have a yard.  Or a grill.  But, you know.  I think about it.

The week before Memorial Day was a pretty long one at work, so I was actually really satisfied that it was grey and rainy here on the holiday - it made me feel better about staying inside and doing all things restful and cozy.  We watched old but new-to-us episodes of Project Runway, we read, we tidied the place up, and we ate.  We ate well.  Better, perhaps, than we would have eaten at a barbecue.  At least better than the pretend barbecue I'd conjured up in my head.

For breakfast I made omelettes inspired by a couple breakfast dishes we've had at Junior's Cafe.  Eggs, sauteed leeks, goat cheese, fresh black pepper, and a drizzle of honey.  Try it.  Amazing.

Lunch was a little... non-lunchy.  The dreary weather had me in a baking mood, so I decided to try out this cream cheese pound cake recipe that I recently bookmarked.  We ate slices of it all afternoon.  Not bad with a little honey drizzled on it, too.  Funny how that works.


And dinner?  Homemade meatballs, ciabatta from Lovejoy Bakers, and a side of baked cabbage (heavy on the olive oil, pepper, and balsamic vinegar) inspired by a dish at Mamma Zu in Richmond, Virginia.  Thanks to my father-in-law, Mike, for getting the recipe.


I never met a grilled meat I didn't like, but I didn't miss the typical barbecue menu one bit.  There will be plenty of time for that this summer.  Right, friends with yards?

2 comments:

LeeAnn said...

If only my husband liked eggs (he's such a weirdo.) So, I'm intrigued with your cabbage dish. Do you bake it sliced or in larger intact portions?

Carolyn said...

Imma need that cabbage recipe, girl. :)

ps sorry I such so bad at commenting. I still check here almost every day though! and read!!