4.05.2013

Keeping the Maui Going

Coming home from vacation is always a little hard.  With most vacations, though, by the time the trip comes to an end, I'm ready to go home.  At the end of a week or two of camping, a shower, clean clothes, and my own bed sound really good.  At then end of a week or two abroad, I'm usually ready to return to a regular eating routine and to collect my thoughts after being super-stimulated.  But I wasn't ready for our trip to Maui to end.  It was comfortable, perfectly paced, and different enough from home to be interesting without putting strains on our regular rhythms.  Oh, there was that sun thing that made life there good, too.  I could have stayed a while longer.


Since we've been back, I've tried to incorporate a little of the goodness we experienced in Hawaii into our Portland lives.  That meant spending a beautifully sunny Easter on the beach on Sauvie Island.  It was nice to have sand between our toes again.  And it's meant fish tacos with mango, avocado, and cabbage coleslaw similar to the one found here for dinner a few times since we've been back (inspired by the awesome tacos here).  It's also meant nightly reading of In the Heart of the Sea.  It's an historic account of the whaleship Essex, whose story is the basis for Melville's Moby Dick.  Barry and I watched whales from our room and the beaches of Maui every day that we were there.  These sightings reminded him of the book that he'd read a while back that he wanted me to read.  It's been a nice nightly practice, reading it to one another.  And dreaming of Maui.

3 comments:

mariko said...

Sounds like you were on Maui the same time we were on the Big Island. Re-entry is indeed difficult! Did you watch Mad Men last night? There was that line about Hawaii that Don spouted during a meeting, and of course I can't remember a word of it now, but I remember thinking, that is EXACTLY RIGHT.

Cheryl Arkison said...

I think it means that changes are a foot. You are moving towards, craving, acting on the instincts that your trip brought up. And that is awesome.

Holly said...

I am loving your Maui posts.... perhaps we should plan to meet there sometime for a vacation. Wouldn't that be fun?!