1.22.2013

The Forty-Five Degree Angle is Back

Last week, Barry had to go out of town for work.  It's pretty much a given at our place that while he's away on work trips, I rearrange the furniture.  Between his work travel and my cold weather-induced nestiness (not to be confused with nastiness - it's anything but nasty), apartment rearrangement was really unavoidable.  I decided it was time for a return to the angled living area set-up that we've had once before.  Don't worry, Dad.  I kept lots of those right angles in tact.  I provide the first photo as evidence.


  


That faux-kati* in the second photo from the top and in the photo below - the one on the wire chair, tucked back into the window bay - what do you think of it?  It's super snuggly and makes sitting on a wire chair a little less waffle-butty.  But this one is an acrylic/polyester piece from Ikea.  It's on the smallish side.  And Barry's not a fan.  What's your vote?  Is it worth it to invest in a real Flokati?

 


I like that this set-up makes the view from our sofa more focused on our windows than our television set (which is conveniently yet unintentionally hidden behind that column in the photo above).  And it makes the view from our bed open and uninterrupted.  I do like to lie in bed for a bit in the morning and look out over our place and out the window while I think about the upcoming day.  An uninterrupted view is nice for that sort of thing, don't you think?

*I am a big dork.  I'm a little embarrassed to admit how pleased I was with myself when I came up with that term.

11 comments:

marissahuber.com said...

You are adorable, and not a huge dork. Or, if you're dorky, so am I - and damn proud of it!

Hmm, if you're not adverse to sheepskin...I am in L-O-V-E with the sheepskin I bought at Rhinebeck. I have it on a chair and it's so cozy, warm and snuggly. It's also surprisingly good on my back when painting and sitting.

I adore your nesting! I don't usually want to leave the house as much in the winter either. Hope you're feeling happier as the days are getting longer!

LeeAnn said...

There is nothing like a real sheep skin. Just consider the differences in cleaning. The Faux version can be machine washed. You can get away with some woolite spot cleaning on the real deal, but otherwise it will need special attention everyonce in a while.

Cheryl Arkison said...

I love your place. I wish I could drink beer with you and laugh while looking out those windows.

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

I was just having this very discussion with my boyfriend last night about retro vs. real vs. repro. My opinion is that real is always the way to go. But that's just my opinion.

Shan said...

Wool wins over pretty much anything. As to cleaning, you won't need to often (wool self-cleans, and it need only be hung in the wind a few times a year to keep it fresh and in shape), and it's not like you have a toddler or two running around...which still isn't a really good excuse to use a synthetic in your home!

Brenna Reed said...

I love the wool rug. Looove. Where did you find it?

mariko said...

Your place is beautiful!

Stephanie Fazio (aka lealou) said...

That's hilarious - I'm SUCH a right angle person... to the point where it might be a sickness. Mark will put a chair on an angle and it drives me a bit batty. Also when I see a crooked picture I have to stop what I'm doing to fix it. Anyway your place looks awesome in different angles though that's for sure!

Janine said...

Suzy, since I barely ever see you anymore (seems like we're both homebodies these days), I thought I'd at least say hi on your blog & let you know that yes, REAL is the deal on sheepskin. I have one under my big belly and on my feet (slippers) and they're the best thing in the world! There's a store on Glisan (next to byways cafe) if you want to go touch them :)
We have only 3 weeks-ish to go- I hope you guys can come visit bebe and us sometime soon then!

traci said...

ha! i've been sheepskin crazy lately. ikea used to sell the real deal but stopped recently for some reason. i was going to mention the place next door to byways too. i'm hitting that up next week to be sure!

traci said...

ha! i've been sheepskin crazy lately. ikea used to sell the real deal but stopped recently for some reason. i was going to mention the place next door to byways too. i'm hitting that up next week to be sure!