10.03.2012

What I Did Last Weekend, Belated, Part One: In the Kitchen

Barry and I needed a little lay-low time this past weekend.  Time at home with good music and not much on the agenda.  I spent several hours in the kitchen making comfort food with which to stock our cupboards and freezer.  There was granola baking.  Pizza dough making.  Vegetable roasting.  And curry pumpkin empanada preparing.  If you know the way I roll in the kitchen, you know it's impossible for me not to make substitutions in recipes.  This time, that meant acorn squash in place of pumpkin.  I popped the first round of empanadas in the oven after work this evening.  Oh, baby!  I'm psyched for round two tomorrow.



6 comments:

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

Hummmm.... something must have been in the air (fall perhaps?). My new guy & I spent last Friday night with bushles of basil I cut from the garden (the basil was very prolific this year!) and made jars of pesto and various basil-related sauces to freeze for future meals. AND we combined items from both our gardens to make a lovely dinner.

I need to go to the pumpkin patch and get some blue hubbards for spicy black bean and pumpkin soup

Stephanie Fazio (aka lealou) said...

deeelish!!

marissahuber.com said...

Yum! That looks delicious! I'll have to put these items on my grocery list for next week. Did you make your own pie dough?

Glad you and Barry got some down-time together after all his travels!

P.S. I'm jealous of your beer! Hahah!

Mom said...

Like the plates (ha ha) and of course the empanadas look mouth-watering as all your food pictures always do!

Love, Mom

Estate said...

Those empanadas look good! I've got a squash in the fridge that's been dying for a good cause.

Bonnie said...

Thanks for the recommendation...we had these for dinner tonight along with this mint chutney: http://showmethecurry.com/pickles-chutneys/mint-chutney.html (no cilantro on hand, but lots of mint in the backyard) and although the kids weren't fans, we were. --Bonnie