10.22.2012

Thirty-Six is a Doozy








I love birthdays.  I love making a big deal of them.  I started this one a couple days early with a massage at Loyly and dinner at Cocotte.  There were treats at Crema, lunch at 6th Street Bistro, and a tasty dinner at Brian's Pourhouse in Hood River.  I squeezed as much goodness as I thought I could into the days leading up to my birthday.  And they were awesome.

And then today rolled around.  My actual birthday.  Some crappy weather thwarted hiking and apple-picking plans in Hood River.  A meeting back in Portland took up too many hours of the day.  And troubling news from home at the end of the day has me really upset.  It's strange to write this here, but it's stranger not to say it.  My dad had a heart attack today, soon after we spoke on the phone and he wished me a happy birthday.  He's recovering and doing well.  But being across the country from him and my family feels horrible right now.  For as much as I love birthdays, I can't wait to fall asleep tonight, to end this day, and to hope for good news tomorrow.

15 comments:

Julie Owsik Ackerman said...

Oh Suz, I've been thinking of you, and glad to hear you celebrated your birthday in style. I hope your dad has a super speedy recovery and that you can see him soon.

love love love, julie

Bonnie said...

Suzy--

So sorry to hear about your father :( Hope today is better. Your birthday partner Charlotte visited a piercing and tattoo parlor for the first (?) time and got her ears pierced with a needle.

--Bonnie

Shan said...

I'm sorry about your Dad, Susan. I know how that feels and it's awful.

My Dad is turning 75 in two weeks and I'm throwing a fancy party for him - putting extra love and work into it, in order to show him how happy I am that he's still with me...cancer or no cancer.

Stephanie Fazio (aka lealou) said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your father Susan... I'm happy to hear he's doing ok but I'll be thinking of you and him. All the best with everything...

shari said...

i'll be thinking of your dad and hoping for good news.

and a happy belated birthday to you, suzy. xox

Nadia said...

That sucks.

My mom's in the hospital tonight because her cancer transplant is screwing up. And her cell phone is dead. I know how you feel...

marissahuber.com said...

Oh, Suzy!!! I'm so sorry to hear this shocking news. I will keep your dear sweet Dad in my thoughts for a speedy recovery. There is nothing worse than being across the country when you want to be with your family to give them hugs. I hope you can see him soon, and know that I'm thinking of you and your family. Sending you hugs and love!!! xoxoxox

Artsy Momma said...

so much love and hugs to you and your family Suzy!!! (I think it goes without saying you can celebrate your birthday whenever you want this year in style, consider it a wash from your actual birth day)

beki said...

Oh no, my thoughts are with you and your family!

Happy Birthday! I say keep on celebrating, celebrate life, birthdays are a gift :-)

Carolyn said...

oh dude. I'm so sorry about your dad! hang in there!!!!!

Dad said...

Hi Suzy, I felt your good vibes way over here in the midwest! As you know by now all went super-well and I'm home and feeling great. Just can't wait until Thanksgiving and being all together again...love to you and The Bear, dad

LeeAnn said...

Happy Birthday! I sincerely hope your Dad's recovery is going well. If there is one area of medicine that has grown leaps and bounds in the last 15 years it's in cardiac medicine and treatment (my career field). (Awww- I just read your Dad's comment.) Glad he is home.

Traci said...

Oh my goodness! I hope your father is doing better and I hope we can have a belated birthday celebration on your return. xoxoxo. You and your family are in my thoughts!

Cheryl Arkison said...

Wow, that is a lot of ups and downs! Happy Belated birthday!

And I'm so happy to hear that your dad is now recovering well. Makes enjoying France a lot easier. Have a great trip!

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

I'm trying to catch my breath and catch up on stuff + then I see this!

What a birthday.

Good health and safe travels to all.