7.11.2012

Disconnected Recommendations

It's sunny and warm here and I have no interest in sitting at the computer, except that I've been meaning to tell you about a few things.  So I'll check in here with a few posts in the upcoming days, starting with today and this random list of things that I like and that I need to tell you about because you might like them, too.  And then you might not hear from me for a while.  Summer is on.


So... the recommendations.  Let's start with clothing.  I recently indulged in the purchase of a top and a dress from one of my favorite Portland boutiques, Betsy & Iya.  I'd long admired several pieces that they carry from the line UZI NYC.  I finally bit the bullet and brought two home with me.  I'm not good at biting the bullet on purchases like this, but in this case I'm so happy that I did.  I love the cut and uniqueness of the pieces I got.  They've gotten a few nice compliments which doesn't hurt.  You might be interested in checking out the line yourself.

Next - movies.  On Shona's recommendation, I checked Beginners out of the library.  And I just loved it.  It was nice movie to look at (do you know what I mean?), the characters were endearing, and it made me cry.  I cried big.  Barry liked it a lot, too.  All good.

We've been out to the movie theater a couple times recently (pre-amazing summer sun).  I liked but did not love Moonrise Kingdom (yay main character named Suzy, boo weird special effects at the end).  Jiro Dreams of Sushi made me think about a lot of things I liked thinking about (ideas surrounding commitment to one's work and striving for excellence) and it gave me a few heartwarming laughs.

Books.  I'm happily making my way through Shari's summer reading lists but I had to take a break from them while I was waiting for a few of the titles to materialize from my hold list at the library.  So I picked up Red House by Mark Haddon, which I'm currently enjoying, and was reminded of how much I liked his two earlier novels.

And to make this recommendation list random like I promised, I'm going to give a shout out to Organix Moroccan Argan Oil.  Yep.  A hair product.  I don't think I've ever made mention of a beauty product on this blog in the six years that I've been writing it, but I'm doing so now because I'm really pleased with this stuff.  It was sweet of my boss to buy me a bottle of it when I showed curiosity towards this oil that apparently everyone else on the planet is using.  I've joined the club and have a lot less hair breakage and ridiculously soft hair because of it.  Ask Barry.  I keep making him touch it.

Okay.  Done for today.  Do you have anything to recommend?  I'm all ears.


3 comments:

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

I'm so glad you loved "Beginners" enough that it made both of you cry. It's just such a sweet movie (with great furnishings).

"Moonrise Kingdom" is on tap for Saturday + I'm on the library wait list for "Jiro Dreams of Sushi," at my brother's recommendation.

I know what you mean, little motivation to be in front of any type of screen these days.

Nadia said...

Jiro is the best, isn't he? He's my Hero of the Year.

Karen/Small Earth Vintage said...

I think Andy and I are the only people who didn't like Beginners very much...weird, because I normally love Plummer (who was great in it, I agree) and McGregor, and that dog was so cute! Maybe I was just mad because Ewan didn't use his cute Scottish accent. I am shallow. I did enjoy Moonrise Kingdom, though. And I'm going to have to check out that argan oil stuff!