5.19.2012

Boiling Point

Since reading An Everlasting Meal, I've been roasting an ovenful of vegetables about once a week.  Not to overstate things, but that book - particularly the weekly roasting practice that the author suggests - has changed my life.  I've recommended it to anyone who will let me.  My friend Robin recently read it and told me that the book's tips helped her make the best hard boiled eggs ever.  With her egg endorsement and the thoughts of a fantastic Nicoise salad that Barry and I had at Nuvrei last week, I decided that last night would be an evening of one-pot boiling instead of an evening of roasting.  It started with eggs (which turned out to be the best hard boiled eggs I, too, have ever made).  Out came the eggs, in went little potatoes.  Followed by green beans.  Each item went into the same pot of boiling water from which the previous morsels were removed.  Upon removal, each item was plunged into an ice bath and then put into the fridge in anticipation of tonight's dinner (we had pasta last night, which was the last thing to be boiled in the same pot and water as everything else).  So tonight, we enjoyed a yummy version of a Nicoise salad, some crusty bread, and a bottle of wine from a vineyard that has a special place in our hearts.



6 comments:

Karen/Small Earth Vintage said...

Oooo--I'm intrigued, Susie! I hadn't heard of this book and will have to check it out. I loved How to Eat a Wolf and all the MFK Fisher I've read. (Andy made us the polenta/brussels sprout/egg combo you posted about a few weeks ago and it was such a good dinner!)

Hey--you're becoming one of my favorite food blogs. :)

marissahuber.com said...

Ooh! Sounds delish! I love salad nicoise (especially with salmon). Based on your recommendation the first time you mentioned this book, I ordered it and am eagerly waiting for it to arrive in the mail. My hard boiled eggs are far from perfect.

I did start prepping a lot of salad and roasted veggies weekly after your other post as well. I agree with Karen above, love your food posts!

Stephanie Fazio (aka lealou) said...

Yum! This really helps with the dishes too eh? ;)

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

I have just added it to my wish list.

I am a roaster as well. The other tier on that hanging basket is filled with beets + a couple oranges.

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

Ah, screw it! Treat 'You Self 2012!

Ordered the book after an e-mail from Marissa in which she mentioned cooking and having just ordered it herself... the power of blog recommendations

Nadia said...

Looks tasty!