3.27.2012

Where I've Been, Where I'm At

I've been to LA and back and found myself much more at peace with this trip than with trips I've taken there in the past.  Funny what a little positive thinking can do (you're always right, Mom).  It helped, too, that my sweet friend Marie e-mailed me a chapter of The Beauty Myth, which I read before the trip.  It not only reinforced the ever-present challenge to be more accepting of myself but also focused my thoughts on being less judgmental about the women I come in contact with while in LA.

Barry and I have also been to Virgina.  We were there last week to be with his family after the passing of his beloved Aunt Jeannie.  Jeannie always welcomed me into her home like one of the family long before I was family.  She hosted a bridal shower for me before Barry and I were married. She and her husband, after whom Barry is named, had us over for Easter and Christmas celebrations year after year.  She was an amazing wife, mother, and grandmother, and she was not only a sister but a best friend to Barry's mom.  She was also an artist and an active volunteer in her community.  We miss her terribly and feel so fortunate that we were able to be with family last week.

Now we're back in Portland, saying goodbye to some of our best friends, Holly and Mike, who are moving to California soon.  If it hadn't been for them, Barry and I might not have discovered what an amazing city Portland is.  It's been wonderful having a couple here with whom we get along so perfectly and who have been so supportive of us.  We're going to miss them, their cute daughter Chloe, and their pup Josie.

I'm also back to jewelry-making, as evidenced in yesterday's post.  Thank you, friends, for your comments there - they really meant a lot to me (probably more than they should have, but I'm in that kinda mood).  Getting to work on jewelry has been very challenging for me recently.  I'm taking today, my first real day off to myself in a while, to get back on track with it - with making, with photographing, and with listing in my etsy shop.


Today there will also be several cups of coffee, a bit of strolling around town, and lots of snuggling with the dog we're watching this week.  Kato's big eyes broke me immediately - it took two minutes of him being in our place before I called him up on the sofa.  An hour and he was on the bed.  I might cry when he has to go home.  That's pretty much where I'm at.

6 comments:

Mom said...

Suzy, am printing this one out - "you are always right, Mom"!!!!!!! WOW!

I can see why Cato has won you over, those eyes, what a Sweetie (but glad to see you have a cover under him)!

Your new jewelry looks amazing, really fresh! Love, Mom

amandajean said...

i'm sitting here wishing i could have several cups of coffee with you. sending you a huge hug.

enjoy the dog sitting. i'd be a pushover, too. (and i'm usually not!)

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

On Sunday I had lunch with some new friends, one of which had a very strong opinion on Angelinos and Los Angeles based on the musicians that come into his guitar shop while in Nashville to record. I passed some sort of test when I told him that I did not want to move back, that I was happier in TN. I can't say I necessarily disagree with the perceptions, but I'm glad you had a better experience.

The eyes will get you every time.

Carolyn said...

heh, your mom is totally framing this post. :)

cato is a lovebug!!

I'm sorry to hear about Barry's aunt, she sounds like she was a pretty awesome person to have in your live(s)!!

Connie said...

So much is going on. I'm sending you happy thoughts.
Be well!

Cheryl Arkison said...

I can see why you would melt with puppy dog eyes.

And loving the direction of those new jewelry pieces. I'm on a jewelry break for a bit now with nursing babe. Boo...