11.30.2011

It's a Big One, Dad

This is a big birthday year for lots of my loved ones. Today's a big one for my dad. Recently, I've been thinking about the time he spent with me the summer before my senior year in college. We stripped and refinished a few pieces of furniture (in the most meticulous manner, the only way my dad would have it) for me to take to my first apartment that fall. We spent hours sanding, priming, and painting in his workroom down in the basement, singing along to oldies on the radio while we worked. That was just one of countless projects he did with me as a kid - projects that encouraged me to work with my hands, to be creative, to see things through to the end, to do my best. Projects that I'll never forget.

I love you, Dad. Happy birthday.

3 comments:

marissahuber.com said...

Every story you tell about your Dad is so heartwarming, and his comments are always so sweet. Happy birthday to you wonderful father!

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

My grandmother turns 90, this is a year for big birthdays... and I'm with Marissa on her comment above.

Anonymous said...

Was that the project that never quite dried? I'm thinking
of a glossy black desk, went with you Fordham I think.
Thanks for the nice words...I enjoyed it more than you did! love,dad