12.22.2010

My Heart Swells

My heart has felt big and full recently - full of love for my family and the wonderful people in my life, full of contentment with where Barry and I are in our lives right now, and full of joy about this season and the warm thoughts that it brings to me every year. I've been remembering with fondness how magical my parents made Christmas for me and my brother and sister. I've enjoyed what little Christmas shopping I did this year, realizing that keeping things simple allowed me time and energy to put into finding meaningful gifts. I've had fun shopping at local Portland stores, finding truly special gifts and seeing so many other people out supporting independent designers. And last night, since Barry and I are leaving early tomorrow morning for Virginia to spend Christmas with his family, we celebrated Christmas here a bit early - our first Christmas in our new home.

I have to share with you one of Barry's gifts to me because it was so beautiful and so perfect. Blue Deer and Red Fox by Clare E. Rojas is a gorgeously illustrated book that tells the story of a deer and fox who are lifelong friends and who take care of one another as those who love each other should. It's sentimental in the best way possible, and it made me bawl like a baby last night when I read it for the first time. Tears are running down my face now as I'm thinking about how beautiful the story and the images in this book are.

I'm lucky to have such wonderful people in my life. I hope you're spending the holidays with those you love. Merry Christmas, friends.

12 comments:

julieree said...

merry Christmas Susan!! Have a wonderful and safe trip to VA. We're heading there tomorrow too (all three kids home this year for Christmas day, woohoo!) have fun!!
xo, julie

Cheryl Arkison said...

And Merry Christmas to you. I love that Barry bought you that book. So perfect.
Talk to you after the holidays, I may have some Portland related news...

beki said...

Merry Christmas to you, too!

house on hill road said...

Merry Christmas Susan! I hope you have a safe trip and that your holiday is extra special. Hope to see you in 2011 (for real!).

Bonnie said...

Merry Christmas Suzy!

holly said...

Merry Christmas, my friend! This Christmas has been extra special and reading your post almost made me tear up a bit. You and Barry are really such a special couple - am so glad to know such a wonderfully matched set.
Life is so beautiful and I too am glad to have simplified this season to focus on the really important stuff.
Merry Christmas again to you, B, M & J!

Mariss said...

What a big heart you have! I'm so happy that you and that wonderful Barry are in such a great place in your lives.

I got to spend time with a friend's 6 year old daughter this Xmas Eve, and my sis-in-law and I were tracking Santa on NORAD / Google Earth! It was so much fun to see her excitement as we watched Santa traveling westward, and asking her what she thought about Santa's magic. I shared the story of your dad on your roof with my sis-in-law. It is SO special :)

Enjoy your holiday! Safe travels and happy new year!

Carol said...

How wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing this with us.

amandajean said...

what a beautiful gift!! hope you've had a wonderful Christmas with your family. happy new year to you, too!

abby try again said...

A belated Merry Christmas to you and Barry!
I hope you are enjoying a fabulous New Year as well. Much love to you, Susan.

betsy said...

This post made ME cry! I have to read the book. You're such an inspiration, Suzy. I can't wait to spend some quality time with you and Barry in the new year. Much love to you, always.

Scintilla said...

Aww. I just got to read this post. Makes me cry too. What a sweet gift from Barry. S good to see you today :) Happy New Year!