11.03.2010

I'm A Dork; My Coworkers Rock

For weeks now, I've been really excited for the Little Winter market this weekend - for the get-together Friday evening and for two (hopefully) great days at the Cleaners at the Ace Hotel on Saturday and Sunday. I've been excited to check out the other vendors' goods, to see Abby for the first time since she moved to Austin from Portland, to see lots of friends, and to meet new people. But truth be told, the excitement has been overshadowed by nervousness and intimidation this week. As I look at the list of vendors who will be at the sale, I'm feeling out of my league. I'm particularly worried about my table presentation. I've only done a handful of trunk shows and craft fairs, so I don't have go-to display pieces or a usual plan for setting things up. I've been putting off preparing my display for a while now, but with one week until the market, it was finally time to bite the bullet. I set a modest budget for myself and hit Goodwill. Simple wooden boxes + a neutral color-scheme + a few pine cones tossed in will hopefully add up to a simple, pretty table that will my jewelry well.


In unrelated news, I just wanted to share that my boss and coworkers rock. Last week, they surprised me with awesome birthday gifts that they made, which really warmed my heart. From the beautiful screen-printed napkins below to hand knit wrist warmers, from a jar of homemade pickles to an adorable skirt, I received gifts from them that were really sweet and special to me. Thanks, ladies.

9 comments:

Cheryl Arkison said...

Those sound like awesome gifts. What a treat. Have fun this weekend, it will be great for sure!

melissa f. said...

girl, you could pile up your stuff in a cardboard box and still make out like a bandit.

that's right. A BANDIT.

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

You have a great eye for design so your booth set-up will be fine (fine? GREAT!). Trust me, it's an evolving process.

Happy belated birthday

traci said...

looks like you picked up some goodies. i can't wait to see picks of your set up... and i don't believe for one second it won't be ridiculously amazing... um, have you seen your styling skillz. seriously.

j vorwaller said...

Susan! It was SO good to meet you and say hello among the busy awesomeness of the event! p.s. Your table was gorgeous. :_)

cori said...

i'm so glad to hear i wasn't the only vendor nervous and intimidated. your display was gorgeous and it was so nice having you to lean on (ha) for 2 days. thanks for being such a great neighbor!

Mariss said...

Ooh, your Goodwill loot looks gorgeous! I agree with Shona, you've got a great eye for design, and a good palette that works for you.

Good luck! Love the gifts you got, how sweet!

Sweet Ronit said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Susan! I was one of the people to meet you at Little Winter, and I thought your table looked as lovely as your wares. In all honesty, I don't care too much about styling at a craft show. Give me a vendor with heart and the ability to communicate easily - and you have that!

amandajean said...

hope you had a wonderful birthday. i'm sending you (quite) belated wishes! sounds like you were showered with wonderful gifts...just the way it should be. :)