10.20.2010

Conversations with My Ninety-Year Old Self

For the past several months, I've been having ongoing chats in my head between my current self and my imagined 90-year-old self. I've been trying to use her perspective on life to keep my head on straight when making decisions - from the day to day kind to the big ones. She's been encouraging me to look at how I spend my time and energy, asking me if they're focused on what I truly value. She's told me I don't spend enough time talking with my family (I'll be calling home once I hit "publish" on this post). I've had many a talk with her about being self-conscious about my legs which finally led me to declare this as my year to Get Over It. Her constant encouragement helped me make serious headway in the Getting Over It Department (e.g. wearing shorts with regularity this summer, busting out knee-length skirts with bare legs, and donning capris when I run... it's quite earth shattering, I know). She had something to do with us deciding a loft instead of a more traditional house when we moved earlier this year. She set me straight about saving for retirement (Shona nudged me in the right direction, too). And my husband and father can blame 90-year old Suzy for occasional lapses in blog posting. Recently, 90-year old Suzy has been trying to get me to talk about my ideas on having kids some day. I haven't felt up for the conversation yet. Care to share what your 90-year old self would like to talk about with you?

P.S. 90-year old Suzy has a jazzy short hair cut and funky glasses. Good to know.

P.P.S. You may have read Andrea's beautiful post, "things I'd like to tell my 17-year old self." As I mentioned in the comments there, it struck a chord with me and my 90 year-old friend.

P.P.S. Have you left a comment for the sulu-design earring giveaway? I'm really looking forward to reading comments about your 90-year old self here, but only comments left under Monday's post will be counted in the giveaway.

12 comments:

mjb said...

I think it's awesome that your 90-year-old self is cute & kicky, not boring and shamy. It's a good thing to keep that long term perspective in mind!

beki said...

Oh wow, what a great perspective. I think I need to get in touch with 90 yr old Beki.

Cheryl Arkison said...

Hmmm, that's a tough one. I need to find my 90 year old self. I've finally found my 35 year old self.

PS the decision on kids or not will strike you in the oddest way, trust me.

Scintilla said...

I adore this post Susan...wow. so inspiring. I love to imagine what your 90 year old looks like, she seems like someone who works for a museum, a curator?

My 90 year old self ironically told me to wear short skirts and get over disliking my legs too. I am serious. I thought when I am 80 I don't want to regret not wearing short skirts. This summer was the first one in 8 years that I wore shorts. On more important subjects the 90 year old reminds me to live with passion and romance, the kind that involves you, a glass of wine and an old cobblestone street in Portugal.

lealou said...

I love this post and have never thought of doing this before. Right now I have conversations with my 24-year-old-sister about what to worry about, what she'll learn in the next 10 years etc. But I love this idea of having a conversation with your future self. I could see it being humbling and would help one stay grounded...

holly said...

I love this post - and I love this perspective. I'm going to adopt it, too.
I did have to say that I think you should absolutely have kids. You and your hubby would be the best parents! Your child would be so enriched and cultured, down to earth, thoughtful, silly, well-mannered and just plain full of life.

deknit said...

So sweet, and very inspiring! What a nice idea to get some perspective. So coo that the 90-year-old-you has funky glasses and a jazzy haircut. Really enjoyed reading your post today.

The Lenarts said...

my 90 year old would tell me to get over myself. stop worrying about every little thing and enjoy my life because it is good. i need to slow down and be ok with not getting everything done. plus money does not matter as much as I think it does.

As for kids, you are never ready for them no matter how much you prepare. once they come it changes you, enriches you and you wonder why you were waiting so long. good luck!

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

Well, if we are giving credit, it was actually Mariss who nudged me in the direction of saving for the future. ACTUALLY, it would have been Mariss' financial planner father via Mariss. I just got my 401K statement + was amazed at how much I have already put into it without even noticing.

My 90-yr-old self just thanked me.

Nadia said...

I've been in exactly this same place this week: dialoguing with myself. Except I've been calling the second voice my intuition. She is so much smarter than me! Haha.

Ninety-year-old Nadia dresses surprisingly like me, but favours truth over killing kindness. She's hard not to listen to.

I want to hear what else 90-year-old Suzy has to say! :D

Connie said...

how thoughtful of you. I should get in touch with my 90 year old self. Or even my year-from-now self.

Mariss said...

Suzy, I freaking love you. How amazing is this post?! I'm dying laughing in a good way over hearing you and 90 year old Suzy arguing over your leg thing. "I would kill for your 34 year old legs!!! Show them off. Heck, I'd kill for your 57 year old legs. Nobody cares!"

I'm proud of you, and hope you find what you're looking for with your Get Over It stuff. Heck, i should play along... 90 year old Marissa wears tight jeans with elastic waistbands and pinches the butts of 30 year old men and pretends she didn't.

And Shona, thanks for the shout-out to my dad. He'll be thrilled. Hahaha!