9.15.2010

Clothes vs. Home (Or Clothes for the Home)


I had to laugh when I saw this recent post on Design*Sponge about being a "clothes person" or a "home person." Just yesterday, I was saying to my sweet coworker that I have a lot of trouble spending money on myself - especially on clothes for myself - but I don't have a problem spending money on things for our home. Case in point: I was hemming and hawing over buying a scarf that I've had my eye on for a while. It went on a pretty great sale, but still I agonized over it for days. That is, I agonized over it until I realized that the scarf is big enough to act as a throw in our living room. Once it became an object for the home, there was no question. It's mine. So, are you a clothes person, a home person, neither, or both?

8 comments:

Nadia said...

Clothes all the way. Although lately, I've been trying to be a home person, so I've started knitting a blanket. Maybe I can be converted!

Cheryl Arkison said...

Definitely home. I used to be a clothes person, but not once I bought a house.
That being said, I did buy some plain old jeans and t-shirts today.

The real debate for me would be shoes vs home.

Bonnie said...

I have become something worse...a kid person. The girls have super cute clothes every season while I am wearing old jeans and a t-shirt everyday. Luckily Gus is a bit of a home person so he randomly shows up with new furniture. I do buy yarn, fabric, and photography equipment...to make things for my kids and take pictures of them. Sad.

Carol Emma said...

Just like you, definitely a home person. As for clothes, a couple pair of jeans and a few t-shirts and I'm good.

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

Tom is always telling me to spend money on myself + I insist that I do. Any money I have is spent on good food, I'd go food shopping any day over clothes shopping! That parlays into buying kitchen stuff, which is in the home...so to come full circle, I'm a home person.

lealou said...

Hmm that's a tough one -- I used to be a clothes person when I didn't have a "home home" but now that I work at home I rarely buy clothes anymore... I love window shopping for the home but rarely do I buy anything -- really what it comes down to is that I'm extremely cheap and I always say to myself "I could make that" (but I don't do much of that either).;)

I have to say that what I really am is a food person -- I spend most of my money on food it seems and I don't think twice about it.

Mariss said...

Good question! I used to be a clothes person, in my youth...now I feel like I need to find my style again and am in major need of a style overhaul :)

I'll go with home and kitchen person. I want to buy stuff based on my favorite interests at the time. Home and kitchen goodies!

Scintilla said...

Well....I think I am both for sure. A you know I love the clothes :) I think that was the fastest purchase I ever made a few days ago at the dress shop. I love these photos of your home, it looks so beautiful.