7.02.2010

The Recipes Made Me Do It

Two recipes kind of fell into my lap this week, and I didn't have the energy to put up a fight. First, a basic guide to savory bread pudding was aired on The Splendid Table (a radio program that often makes my skin crawl, I'll admit, but it's on Portland's public radio station when I'm driving home from work on Saturdays, so...). The timing of the airing of the show was perfect. I hadn't thought about what I'd make for dinner that evening, and I had several heels of loaves of bread in the freezer. Version one, made that night with odds and ends we had on hand, was delicious. Version two, including the peas we picked at Kruger's Farm last weekend and a bacon bonus (see the recipe that follows), will be tonight's dinner.


Recipe two came to me while I was at the gym earlier this week, getting my soundless cable fix while on the treadmill. The Neelys made a grilled peach salad with balsamic bacon vinaigrette that gives me the shakes just thinking about it. I broke down and bought bacon - we usually don't keep dark master foods like bacon around the house. But I got it and I'm psyched to use it in not one but two dishes this weekend.


I hope those of you in the U.S. have a wonderful Fourth of July. I'd love to hear about your holiday menus... or your dark master foods. Whatever.

6 comments:

Mom said...

Yum, Suzy!

Savory Bread Puddings are essentially like the stratas we made for the shower. Wish Dad liked them, but no way. I think they are wonderful.

Having liver and onions tomorrow night for dinner with corn on the cob, Sunday at M's for ribs and Monday night will grill steaks!

Archie's cake for dessert on Sunday and iced brownies. Have to save all my extra WW points for this weekend!

Happy Fourth to you and Barry, Love, Mom

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

OK, totally random thought (but not really). I often see people's kitchens with framed photos by the sink, on the counter + generally in the food prep/ clean-up area + it shocks me because I tear up the counter + sink when I cook. I really REALLY need a tile back splash because there are stains from food on the wall. Maybe everyone else is just neat + tidy? I guess.

Have a great 4th.

Jessica Nichols said...

Dark Master Food! Never heard the term before. I'd say key lime martinis are my dark master food during the summer. :)

I don't have anything special on the menu this weekend but I did want to pop in and say enjoy your bacon and the Fourth!

Chickenbells said...

Those recipes sound divine!!

melissa f. said...

yumm-o.

one day we're going to have to discuss your aversion to the splendid table. immersion therapy maybe?

Connie said...

savory bread pudding sounds great! [but turning on my oven in this heat does not....]

my dark master food? bread & butter. if they are around, any small twinge of could-be hunger is squashed with a big piece of bread and butter. thus, they do not live here.