7.22.2010

Bacon Leftovers, Yes... Pizza Leftovers, No

I'll eat my words about not keeping bacon around the house. Barry requested it for our camping trip last weekend, and I happily obliged, so we had the good part of a package left in the fridge when I got home from work today. That bacon was on my mind when I picked up goat cheese with honey at the grocery store yesterday. Combined with freshly ground black pepper, caramelized red onions, and wilted spinach, they made the most delicious pizza topping that I've been able to come up with.


In case you'd like a step-by-step: I made my usual go-to pizza dough recipe from Bitmann's How to Cook Everything, reserved half the recipe for a pizza the following night, and put the other half, pizza pie-shaped, in a 475 degree oven. While it was baking, I browned three strips of bacon, chopped into one inch pieces. When the bacon was close to crisp, I added half of a red onion, sliced, to the bacon drippings and sauteed until soft. I turned off the stove top, added a few handfuls of fresh spinach, and let it wilt. After ten minutes, I took the mostly-done dough out of the oven and spread a few ounces of goat cheese (with honey!) on the hot pie, cracked pepper over the cheese, and spread the bacon/onion/spinach goodness on top. Four more minutes in the oven, and one of the best dinners we've had in a while was ready. And we still have half a package of bacon to go.

10 comments:

laundrygirl said...

That sounds SO good!

Karen/Small Earth Vintage said...

Not keep bacon around the house?! So wrong. What I love about bacon is that you can use a small amount and the flavor goes far. This looks delicious, and if we ever bother to get our oven working again, I'll look up that Bittman recipe!

kat @ Taylor Made designs said...

your pizza sounds delicious! It's been awhile since I've tried out different ways to make pizza. Thanks for the inspiration:)

Julie Owsik Ackerman said...

Oh my god. This made me so hungry. Bacon makes everything better. Love the goat cheese idea. I make lots of pizza, but often stick to the tomato sauce with mozzarella classic. Maybe it's time to shake things up!

Miss you!

Julie

Jessica Nichols said...

Oh my goodness Susan. You may have to publish a cookbook at some point. Drooling!

dorie said...

omg that sound good. caramelized onions are my most important home made pizza topping!

molly said...

Salivating....

Mom said...

I could eat the picture! Love, Mom

house on hill road said...

i am making this as soon as i get home. yum!

house on hill road said...

we made this last night! on the grill! fan-tas-tic! thanks for sharing, susan.