5.21.2010

Interior Motives

Been thinking a lot about little and not-so-little changes I'd like to make around the apartment. But first, did I ever show you the locker we bought soon after moving in? We (and by we I mean Barry) drilled holes in the sides and screwed a dowel inside from which we (and by we I mean we - this part wasn't so tough) hung two shoe organizers. It's the perfect shoe storage solution for a home with just one closet.


See that sweet painting up there? That was a housewarming gift from Renee Hartig, a friend and talented artist living and working here in northwest Portland. It's sitting on a shelf right now since we've come to a screeching halt with hanging artwork. It's so hard to commit when it comes to holes in the wall, no?


This little office nook is what's itching at me now. I'd love to move the cart on the left, get rid of the bookshelf on the right, and install some pretty shelves like these or these (scroll down) or these. Putting holes in that concrete wall doesn't sound so appealing, though. Again with commitment.

Enough with indoor thoughts. After work on Saturday, we're heading out for a weekend of camping on the Deschutes River with some biking, hiking, and good campfire eating. I can't wait. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

8 comments:

amy @ switz~art said...

I love your place! That locker is SUPER!!

Have a blast camping! I am itching to camp soon!

Cheers!
a

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I'll carry your backpacks if I can come with you!!! I can smell that daybreak coffee now! Have a great time, Guys, I'll see you soon!!! L,Poppa

Carol Emma said...

ooooh..I love the Brick House shelving! Your locker is fantastic and all your furniture works so well in the loft. Putting holes in concrete walls, however, IS a major commitment, but so are most worthwhile changes.
Have a great camping trip! What a great way to spend a weekend :)

Chickenbells said...

Home decorating is so satisfying isn't it? I often go over whole renovations I would make to Foolsewoode if I had the money...ripping down walls, expanding...sigh.

Have a lovely weekend outdoors, although I somehow think you will!

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

I am really digging these shelves:
http://www.dwr.com/product/workspace/shelving/sapien-bookcase-short.do?sortby=ourPicks

When they were preparing our house to be sold the painters did a crap job by not patching nail holes so until we actually decide on wall colors, I'm just using the existing holes for now.

2 years in, still little commitment in the picture hanging area.

leya said...

Sounds like you've got some plans. I like the shelving idea for the office space.

And, I would love to go camping this weekend. Being 8 1/2 months pregnant makes that not such a good idea... The Deschutes River is so lovely -- I really miss your part of the country. Perfect camping out there. Perfect.

Jenna said...

those lockers are incredible! so sleek! so stylish!

Mariss said...

Awesome locker re-deux! Where's the peek of the inside?!

I think those shelves are great! Too bad they're not the ones that can lean against your walls, and solve the permanance problem...Just think, the holes will add character :)