4.15.2010

Running with the Blue Theme


In honor of my attempt at being more productive, these guys are now in the sulu-design shop. And in honor of the upcoming birthday of my wonderful friend Holly, this is now in the oven:

Pumpkin Spice Cake with Honey Frosting
(from Everyday Food, November 2005)

for the cake:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted, plus more for pan
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice or (and I chose the "or"):
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon cloves
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree

for the frosting:
1/2 very soft unsalted butter
8 ounces very soft cream cheese (reduced fat is fine)
1/4 cup honey

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and cutter an 9-inch square baking pan. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, salt, and pumpkin pie spice. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, butter, and pumpkin puree until combined. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture and mix gently until smooth. Turn batter into pan and smooth. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached. Cool in pan for ten minutes, then turn out of pan and cool completely on a rack, upright. Whisk together the frosting ingredients in a medium bowl until smooth. Spread frosting on cake, cut into squares, and get busy. I can't wait for the get busy part. It smells un-freaking-believable in here. Happy birthday, Hol!

4 comments:

angie said...

sounds delicious and I'm with you on the blue theme! My dyes keep going blue… :) *a

betsy said...

UM...I want some. mouth is currently watering.

My Love is..... said...

ohhhh perfect timing... I have pumpkins coming out of my pumpkins at the moment :) I am loving your jewelery a day also :)

Holly said...

THANK YOU!! I just read this and now can attest to how AWESOME and delicious the cake was. I had two servings!
Thanks Suz - what a great friend I have in you and your husband :)