4.26.2010

Friends of the Children

A recent blog post by my friend Betsy reminded me that I never reported back to you on the donation I made in January to Mercy Corps based on sulu-design shop sales. As it happens, I just received a note from the organization last week thanking me for the check. Thanks goes, of course, to those of you who made a purchase from the shop at that time.

I'd like to make another donation based on purchases made from now until the end of May from the sulu-design shop. If you've read my blog for any amount of time now, you know how much I adore my mother. And if you ever venture into the comment section, you know how awesome she is to me. In honor of my mom and of Mother's Day, I'll be donating 25% of all sales from the sulu-design shop from today through May 31st to the Portland chapter of Friends of the Children, a non-profit organization that provides trained adult mentors to vulnerable children from kindergarten through high school graduation. I've been donating pieces of jewelry to their annual auction since I moved to Portland, and I'd like to be able to give a little more to this wonderful organization. I was lucky to be raised in a loving home by amazing parents, and I'd like to pass some of that goodness on to other kids who need it.

As I mentioned last week, my shop updates this week are all about another recent bead obsession (although I don't think I have the triangles out of my system just yet). I can't get enough of these shiny little brass discs - they have a nice weight to them and look great, I think, in stacks:


They're in the sulu-design shop now. I just added a few things to the sale section there, too. I hope you had a nice weekend. I'm only half way into mine now, and I gotta tell you - I'm loving it.

3 comments:

Mom said...

Dear Sweet Suzy,

Needless to say (but you know me I will anyway) this post brought tears to my eyes and is making me cry as I type this.

How wonderful that you are supporting this organization that makes a difference in the lives of children. Dad and I were so blessed to have such great, loving kids. We were also fortunate to have had parents that raised us in such a way that we had good examples of how to nurture, care for, educate and raise children to be moral, ethical, hardworking, caring members of society.

You and your sister and brother, your spouses and now our grandchildren are truly God's most treasured gifts to Dad and me. Love always, Mom

kat @ Taylor Made designs said...

how sweet is your mum?
I teared up a bit reading her comment!

What a wonderful gift to give!

Connie said...

great idea Susan. My sister has a birthday coming up- maybe I'll hit you up for a present for her. She did request earrings [because I always make her necklaces!]