2.22.2010

Back and Relieved




Mixed with my excitement about returning to New York City after two and a half years of being away was an underlying feeling of nervousness. Honestly, I was worried that being back in New York would make me want to move back - not a good feeling when you've just bought your first home on the other side of the country. And New York was great. Great. I ate my way down Elizabeth Street (again), drooled over the wares at the lovely shops that I've missed, walked miles and miles and miles, and best of all I got to see my brother and sister-in-law several times. I miss it all terribly. But I don't need to move back. Not any time soon, at least. New York will always be there, and I'll always be able to make my way around it. I had the realization when I was there that New York will always be my city, whether I'm living there or not. That gave me such great comfort. And I felt such content to return to Portland and get back to work on nesting in our new place.

12 comments:

betsy said...

ahhh, suzy. beautiful.

Carol Emma said...

Glad you had a great visit and enjoyed yourself and that you are content to be back in your nest.

Cheryl Arkison said...

What a good feeling to have.
We were back in my home town on the weekend and I said to Hubby, "This isn't my city anymore." And I was fine with that.

Jamie Watson said...

That sounds like a very nice revelation. Good.

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

Good feeling to have. I tend to miss the idea of my home city, now it's fun visit, wouldn't want to live there (again).

Jessica Nichols said...

What a relief! I would worry about that too. Welcome *home.* :)

Mariss said...

Sweetness! Your home can be in more than one place. And I think you can definitely "claim" whatever you want ;)

My homes are South Florida, Bloomington, Indiana and Philly!

Welcome back. I bet Shona loved the photo of those creepy hands!

Bonnie said...

I worried about the same thing my first time back to Boston (just last year). But the first time a bunch of cars went through an intersection while I stood in the rain with two little kids waiting to cross...I remembered why I was also happy to leave ;) And this winter of course I have felt quite smug.

Welcome back, and love your new loft!

Connie said...

I'm glad you had a good time and are happy at home again.

Karen/Small Earth Vintage said...

Ah, I know exactly what you mean!

Love the photos.

Chickenbells said...

Sometimes it's just lovely when home is so comforting a place to come home to...even if you're surprised about where it's located...Welcome back!

amandajean said...

i'm so glad that you got to visit NYC and that you were ok with leaving it. that's a huge step and it makes me so happy to hear it. :)