1.06.2010

We Got By with a Little Help From Our Friends

It's over. Moving day is finally over. I hate moving day. Doesn't everyone? I was little ball of stress through it all, worried about getting everything done in one day, worried about parking a big old truck on city streets, worried about keeping all of the up arrows up and the fragile boxes safe. The move actually went extremely smoothly, thanks to the help of several of our friends. So here's a thank-you-shout-out to:

Our neighbor Matt, an amazing photo realist painter, who moved a ton of heavy boxes and furniture.

Our pals Holly and Mike who lent us dollies. I will never move without dollies again - what ease!

The super nice owners of Fit Right Northwest who lent us a truck and hand trucks. I'm telling you, having the right equipment makes moving so much less of a headache.

And I've got to mention our friend Cliff who recently opened up The People's Pig, a fantastic food cart in downtown Portland. We swung by for a lunch break of porchetta sandwiches with arugula and peppers. Damn. So good. And they provided the energy needed to go all afternoon and evening long.

Thanks for the well-wishes on the move - they did us good. Now the unpacking starts. I love the unpacking. Photos will follow someday...

15 comments:

Mom said...

Dear Suzy,

Can't wait for the photos of your new home!

Sounds like your move went so smoothly and of course you would like unpacking since you pack so neatly and label beautifully. Still have the boxes you marked for me in the Christmas closet - BOWS, FABRICS, etc.!

Is Matt your new neighbor? Needless to say I checked out his work, very impressive.

Wishing you and Barry a wonderful time as you settle into your new digs! Love always, Mom

Cheryl Arkison said...

Phew, that must be a relief. Here's to the coming weeks of getting settled and make it home.

PS I doubt I can afford that work, but your neighbour Matt has awesome stuff. I could so see a partiular painting in our renoed basement.

AbbieBabble said...

Hooray for moving being over. Having friends to help out makes it so much better. Good luck with all the unpacking!

Mariss said...

Your mom is so cute.

Matt's work is amazing! I love the yellow plastic chair paintings. You guys seem to like a lot of the same imagery :)

Glad you had a great move, and delicioso sandwiches. Yum!

andrea (scout.) said...

congratulations, susan! moving, even if just across town, is truly the most stressful thing (except for maybe buying an apartment. that's pretty stressful too.) so happy for you guys.

if you need any help with painting and such, please give me a ring. we still have tons of supplies leftover. can't wait to see the photos.i know any place belonging to you and barry will be breathtaking. :)

Jessica Nichols said...

Yay! Good for you guys stopping to eat good food in the midst. :)

traci said...

yay! new digs are so exciting. and getting your first chance to lay it all out and create a new space. ahhh. enjoy!

Chickenbells said...

Congratulations! I am so happy to hear it went so smoothly for you...it usually does, it's just riddled with stress anyway. Enjoy spreading out and making yourself comfortable...and we can't wait to see pictures when you finally find your camera!

abby try again said...

Glad to hear you had some help with the big move. I am seriously drooling over that sandwich description...oh sounds so yummy!
I know you are a busy, busy gal-but let's get together soon. Happy Sunday :)

amandajean said...

I'm so glad to hear that the move went well. happy unpacking!

Julie Owsik Ackerman said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited for your new home! Can't wait to see pictures, or better yet, come visit. I cracked up when I read about you loving unpacking. Only you.

Love, J

at Hanna said...

Moving is very purifying for the mind. And the closets. But it´s such a drag beforehand. Good luck! Now the fun begins!

Michelle said...

ahhhh, angels are singing cuz you are done. I remember when O and I were done moving into this home, we crashed out on the mattress, until night time, just crashed. aaahh, it feels so good :) WEEEEEE

Michelle said...

p.s. your mom's comments are so cute!

betsy and iya said...

I can't wait.