12.09.2009

The Mother of All Purges...

is taking place at our apartment right now. Barry and I are going to usher in 2010 with a lot less junk in our lives, thanks to:

Powell's - for the books we've read and won't reread
What's Upstairs - a great little women's clothing consignment shop here in Portland
Well Suited - a consignment shop for men
Buffalo Exchange - for the clothing the consignors wouldn't take
Craigslist - for getting rid of a bike (a truly beautiful but unused bike), countless bike parts, tons of beads, and lots of other little doodads
Goodwill - for everything else

We're trying to be ruthless, keeping only what we need and what we love. And then there the few random things that we just can't part with for whatever reason, like these items found in an old tool box that we acquired when we moved into this apartment:

8 comments:

amandajean said...

i bet purging feels good. (i need to do some of that myself. in a bad way.) love your new toolbox acquisitions.

Nadia said...

You sound like William Morris: "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."

Karen/Small Earth Vintage said...

Wait. Is that a mugshot? I'm thinking no, because of the curtain. And he looks pretty happy.

Cheryl Arkison said...

I like your new header. It feels like we are in a constant purge in our house, and I love it. I even told Hubby that I didn't want ANYTHING for Christmas. Seriously, don't bring anything else into this house.

Good luck!

Connie said...

a grand and worthy goal susan. i too am trying to question each purchase to curtail the accumulation of 'stuff'. but... we'll see how long that lasts

Mariss said...

Yay for purging! It feels so good. I'm going to help my mom purge over the holidays, and finally tackle my brother's room. That will be a good thing.

Love the new blog header. The B&W is so edgy and hip :)

Nice rosary keychain. I'm guessing the mug-shottee needed it to stay in line???

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

Do I really need to leave a comment here?!?!?!?!
2010 is going to be a great year for you two. I cannot tell you how much better I feel (wait, I think I already have). But once you start...there is always more, even if you think there isn't.

Mom said...

Oh Suzy, my good little PURGER,

Started with the first box of how many?? in the basement two weeks ago.

Looked through a photo album, my high school report cards, your braces retainers, Cabbage Patch cards which the grandkids picked up, an autobiography hand written by Aunt Kay in 1941 (which I have to send to her sons) and Uncle George's WW11 memoir that I typed for him. Now have the stuff on the couch and have gotten no further!

Instead have filled the two bedrooms with boxes of Christmas gifts!!! I need you, as always, Love, Mom