11.02.2009

Button Haul and Hibernation Recipes


Yesterday, after we checked out the flea market (score on the button front) that was recommended to me by the lovely ladies of Bonnet, Barry and I headed to an Indian restaurant that we've been meaning to check out. It was the first really tasty and reasonably priced Indian food that we've had at a restaurant since we moved to Portland. Finally. Thinking about mentioning it here made me realize how little I've posted about food recently. I figured it was high time that I get to posting some links to recipes we've been enjoying because the eating has been good 'round these parts.


Last night for dinner, I made a fall favorite: stuffed squash. Depending on what's on-hand in our kitchen, the stuffing varies. Last night, it included apple, red onion, walnuts, currants, cinnamon, brown sugar, and bits of turkey bacon. I've been revisiting this braised lamb shank recipe, too, using inexpensive cuts of beef in place of lamb. Served over polenta, it's such a satisfying meal on a chilly autumn day.

But it's Barry who's really been rockin' the kitchen. First, there was his cornmeal and kale spoon bread. Then he made stuffed squash with a spicy flare. And a few weeks ago, I came home after a long day at work to find Barry preparing curry-dusted scallops served atop a green pea puree - a nice surprise he'd put together to celebrate the 13th anniversary of our first kiss. That guy. Finally, for my birthday dessert (I'm not a birthday cake kind of gal - but don't get me wrong, I'm totally down with flourless chocolate cake, cheesecake, and carrot cake) Barry made this amazing pear crisp with candied ginger. The boy is no joke.

It's time to start thinking about hibernation if you haven't already, folks. But don't worry - there's still plenty of time to fatten up for the winter. Do as the animals do, I say. Hopefully some of these recipes will help. Do you have any fall favorites to share?

Edited to add: How could I forget to mention Marissa's butternut squash soup recipe? We could live on that alone in the fall. It's on the table tonight. And since it's food related, check out this link from the New York Times via my father-in-law. I love the food scene in Portland, but the service at restaurants here frequently doesn't live up to my expectations. My biggest peeve? Breaking rule #17. I'm looking forward to the next 50.

14 comments:

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

Hearty vegetable "soups that eat like a meal" are the staple fall through winter, or at least until my boy cries out for something different.

Chickenbells said...

I may have had some favorites when I was starting out, but THAT Barry and his whims just put them right out of my head! What a lovely surprise when someone so graciously cooks for you...and such wonderful things as well!

Mom said...

Please add these to the restaurant list!

1. Are you guys ready to order??
All women at the table!

2. Do you need change?

3. When giving the specials give the price!

Nadia said...

#17 is so important. People (especially women) *will* stop eating when everyone else's plates are gone!

This list sounds like all the things my brother taught me about serving -- he was so picky on the rules, but they really do matter.

Mariss said...

I read that article yesterday! #17 is a good one, except when the customers yell at you. (I was a waitress, but not in that classy of a joint.) I always get embarrased when they sit at your table and it's a small booth...

I'm shipping Mike off to take lessons from "That Guy" Barry. Would you please tell him that he has become the man that all your blog fans wish their own partners would emulate?! ;) Hahaha. You 2 deserve each other!

I'm eating my soup tonight. Will have to try one of your recipes, if I can figure it out!

ambika said...

After eating squash at a friend's house, and hearing how easy and slapdash they can be to prepare, I have one waiting in my fridge!

I'll have to check out Marissa's recipe and try out the ingredients you used in yours!

wende said...

OOh, those buttons are fabulous. I'll have to remember the flea market. I had NO idea!

traci said...

okay now i'm starving. can we pop by for dinner.. oh how a girl can dream.

Jamie Watson said...

WOW your man is a treasure. The scallops and the reason - almost made me have tears in my eyes. Thanks for all of these recipe links!

sara said...

I think of vinyls when I see the first pic of buttoms. Nice!

Jamie Watson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jamie Watson said...

p.s. Thanks to this post, I made Mariss's butternut squash soup tonight and it was a hit! It will be a longtime favorite, for sure. Thanks Susan (and Mariss!)

amandajean said...

i like how you think...a justification for extra eating this season. sounds sensible to me. :)

LOVE those buttons!!!

Julie Owsik Ackerman said...

That man is no joke. AND he can cook? Damn. 13 years. I can't believe he remembers the first day you kissed and commememorates it. You got a good one, Suz. And you know it.

I'm sailing the mediterranean currently, and though I'm loving it, am so happy to be able to check in on you via blog. Makes me feel less homesick. Greece was incredible. Tomorrow, Malta.