7.06.2009

Run-On Necklaces

People, I was a necklace-making machine today. Between the encouragement of Patricia at Bonnet, who I can't thank enough for her support of my designs - especially my necklace designs, as well as the promise of an amazing upcoming sale at Abby's place in a couple weeks (have you seen the awesome blog she set up for the Summer Social and the beyond sweet feature she posted on sulu-design?), I've decided to seriously focus my energy on getting some new pieces produced this month. (I should, perhaps, be focusing my energy for a moment on adding some periods to that insane run-on sentence you just read. But right now I'm typing as I would be talking. And I'm excited about all of this, so I'd totally be run-on talking, too.)

Today I finally broke down and worked with pieces that I've been holding onto in my stash for years - found bit of metal from the streets of Queens, bits of old jewelry from a table at the former Chelsea Flea market in Manhattan - as well as with some new-to-me chains and beads.

I was listening to NPR for several hours while my fingers worked away today. I wish I had a nickle for each time the phrases "President Obama and his Russian counterpart" and "the architect of the Vietnam War" were uttered. Where's a thesaurus when a reporter needs one?

Okay, too much coffee and too much jewelry-making has me a little wired. I'm heading to the kitchen to put my energy to a different use now, making this with turkey sausage for dinner. Thanks for stopping by, friends. Hope your weekends were wonderful.

Edited to add: Abby's Summer Social takes place on July 25th. I'll list remaining necklaces in the sulu-design shop after the sale.

18 comments:

Nadia said...

Oo! I love a good run of productivity! You're quite the necklace-making machine!

(Also having too much caffeine at the Nadia House!)

Maryanne said...

Suz... I'm loving these necklaces. When can I pick one (or 2 or 3!) up on etsy?

april said...

wow! there's some nice ones in there! you're gonna make a bundle!

Bonnie said...

Better that than hours of listening to the radio the day Michael Jackson died ;) Didn't we all go to the thriller concert together?

The kids, G, and I are thinking about doing a weekend in Portland around July 31 - Aug. 2. C gets out of art camp at noon on Friday, we would drive down after that and stay until evening on Sunday (or whenever to drive back up Seattle way). Are you guys around at all that weekend? I am hoping to hit the Saturday market and maybe the zoo (reciprocal membership benefits!) and of course see you and B. Haven't made the reservations yet (thinking of staying at the same place as last year)--wanted to make sure that weekend would work for you.

Sorry for the long comment, in retrospect I should have just emailed!

abbyglassenberg said...

Wow! I love this work! So great. I hope some of them will make their way to your Etsy shop. So beautiful!

lulubeans said...

um, WOW!
very impressive!
i am swooning over that one in the middle of the last photo, with the rectangular piece! gorgeous!!

lealou said...

love these! wow you were productive!

erica said...

Oh, you got me so excited, and now I have to wait even longer. I always love to look at your earrings, but alas, I can't wear them because of allergies. Fortunately, the allergies don't affect me wearing other jewelry. So I'll cross my fingers that you don't sell out (sorry) before some of these get to etsy!

Roberta Jane said...

Hi! These necklaces look amazing! Hope you don't mind I am posting a little feature on your earrings (and etsy shop) today :) Can't wait for the necklaces - might have to stop by the summer social!

Mariss said...

You know you won't get a complaint regarding run-on sentences from yours truly ;)

Wow! Wow! Wow! The nice write-ups, the great idea you guys have, and the wonderful necklaces! That anchor is staring me in the face.

I love that you're doing more necklaces now.

betsy and iya said...

Those look AMAZING!! I'm so glad you got a little fire under your butt and ran with it. You continue to be an inspiration...

Carolyn said...

holy crap, dude. very impressive productivity!!! they all look beautiful!

Jamie Watson said...

WOW they look so amazing all lined up like that. I love found metal. The pieces look beautiful up close. That was funny what you said about listening to NPR. Geez you're inspiring me to get in my studio. I want to be a machine too!

Irum said...

i cant wait to see what will be at the summer social! these necklaces are gorgeous! i would go over to bonnet, but my bike would never make it past MLK.

ambika said...

These are *gorgeous*! Wish I could be there.

Erin said...

love, looove them. hope you have some yummies left in your shop. good luck on the sale!

amandajean said...

it looks like you have the makings of a sweatshop worker. wanna come and help me out? ;)

Suzi said...

These are all really cute necklaces. My favorite ones are the ones with the wood pendants.