7.23.2009

Glutton for Punishment = Glutton for Gluttony

For some reason, when it gets really hot outside, I get the urge to take it one step further by making our kitchen swelter. When I should be making nice cool salads, I torture myself by turning on the oven and letting the sweat pour (not on the food - never on the food). Part of it is grill envy - I've been using the oven's broiler to make dishes that I'd love to be grilling up in a backyard this summer... if we had a backyard. A current favorite? Salmon brushed with olive oil and a squeeze of lime juice. After broiling the fillets for 5 minutes or so, I brush them with a mixture of lime juice, honey, and coconut flakes and return them to the broiler for two or three more minutes, and serve 'em up with spicy black beans. The heat's not just coming from the broiler, though. I've done a bit of baking, too:


It was this recipe for chocolate black pepper cookies that heated up our kitchen this morning. Oh, sweet gluttony.

8 comments:

Mom said...

Dear Suzy,

Your cookies look picture perfect! Think Dad will love these and it's cool here so I can bake. (Just renewed my subscription to ML.)

Have you ever thought of being a photo journalist or staging designer?????

Good luck with your Saturday sale. Love, Mom

laundrygirl said...

I've been thinking about making banana nut bread!

Sonya said...

Salmon? Black pepper? Chocolate? Yum, you have me drooling over here.

Jamie Watson said...

Ooo I am going to have to make your salmon recipe. Thank you! Doesn't that Julia Child movie look fun, too? Stay cool! xo

Chickenbells said...

And SO worth it!!

traci said...

that salmon sounds amazing. i'm coming for dinner post haste.

Carolyn said...

those cookies sounds spectacular. and oh do i wish i could come to the saturday sale. ;(

amandajean said...

it's been so cool here this summer that i've squeezed in a few days of guilt free baking. it's nice to be able to run the oven when i'm not competing with the a/c. (being the frugal mama i am, it always produces much guilt.)