7.08.2009

Curmudgeon

I'm getting older, people. I know we're all getting older day by day, but I'm getting decidedly older in mindset. Case in point: my grumpy reaction to the goings on at the bar across the street from our apartment. The bar has picnic tables out front on the sidewalk and the staff there serves customers outside until 2 am every night of the week. And as you might imagine, people who are out drinking until 2 am aren't the quietest group. Years ago (okay, to be honest it was over a decade ago), I was occasionally (fine, I'll be honest again - I was rarely) one of those people who was out at that hour. No longer. I'm all about early to bed early to rise. So now, I am the person woken in the middle of the night by those people. I am the person who calls the bar at 1:30 to tell them to quiet their customers down or bring them inside. I am the person who calls the non-emergency police line several times a week to have a patrol car swing by to put a damper on things when I'm awakened by bar noise at 2 in the morning. I am the person who sends in official complaints to the state liquor licensing commission regarding the sleep-interrupting noise that projects from the bar on a nightly basis. I am tired. I am grumpy. I am a curmudgeon.

I took this photo - yay for Christmas lights in July! - down the block from my favorite neighborhood bar. Like the annoying bar across the street from our place, my favorite neighborhood bar has outdoor seating. Unlike the owners of the annoying bar, however, the owners of the New Old Lompoc have consideration for their neighbors - they shut down patio service at 11 pm.

14 comments:

Nadia said...

Aw... poor Sulu. When they raised the closing time in Vancouver bars to 4 am, they made a lot of grumpy people here too. This knitting granny is happy to go to bed nice and early in my quiet, East side neighbourhood.

rachel. said...

i'm that person, too! we have 311 in new york now -- you can call to complain about anything. and i have neighbors who are outside, yelling at each other, every single weeknight. i called 311, waiting on hold for 30 minutes. they said they'd have the police swing by, but it's a backyard in the middle of a block of brownstones -- nearly impossible for the police to figure out where it is. but they were quiet for a few days -- until last night. i'm going to rip out my hair.

in short, i feel for ya!

(new old lompoc was one of my faves, too ...)

Mariss said...

Curmudgen is one of my favorite words. As is tomfoolery (which is what is killing you slowly!)

Those kids annoy me too. Here though, we say, "Damn you, North Star!!!"

kattmd said...

Summer is just starting up, so this totally stinks for you :( Hopefully you can speak to the manager/owner over there and get them to close the patio at 11:00. Poor you. I do feel for you!

asphaltandair said...

i'm old and often grouchy too.
man oh man....
i miss portland ales and burgers and fries....
*drool*

kait said...

You're not alone. I too am a curmudgeon. I've lived near bars in apartments where no AC meant keeping the windows open, and now we are across from a large parking lot which has attracted drag races and un-mufflered motorcycle races and wheelie practice. I too, know the police non-emergency number well. I say embrace your inner curmudgeon. We have a copy of "The Portable Curmudgeon," a book of quotes compiled by Jon Winokur, which makes it look like we are in fine company.

Chickenbells said...

What a lovely picture! I honestly can't believe that there isn't some sort of noise moratorium in place anywhere! I think you can do what you want until 10 and after that? SHUT IT! I DON'T want to hear you singing along to Love Shack (stupid college boys up the way) at 1:30 am...some of us have stuff we have to do!

Mom said...

Ah, Suzy,

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Love, your CURMUDGEON Mom

erinn said...

Word. I am so with you. I have no patience for unruliness anymore. How did this happen, this getting old thing?

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

When I was 18 I lived across from a bar which is why I hate the song "Lola" by The Kinks (drunk frat boys loved to sing it on the roof patio + only knew one part L-O-L-A Lola, LALALALALALALALALALALA Lola) + that f#&*ing Pabst Blue Ribbon truck that rattled the street making early AM deliveries. I hate Pabst purely based on my beer snobbery.

Anonymous said...

if you want to...we can ninja on over there in the middle of the night armed with new, sharp cross-cut saws and take two legs off the short sides of them tables...let's see them young hooligans try to sit and balance their beers on that! It'll buy at least a half a week of quiet while they look for new tables i'd bet. You wouldn't believe how much louder it is on the 4th floor....it also helps to drink before you go to bed....you really just don't hear a thing then.

Carolyn said...

a curdmudgeon who took a really pretty picture. :)

Jess said...

This reminds me of when I fell in love and moved to Venice Beach to be closer to said love who LOVED Venice Beach and all its insanity.

Then I got pregnant, and morning sickness took off my blinding love for my love's decidedly NOT lovely neighborhood. The noise! The crowds! The lack of parking! I would sit on my stoop at 3 a.m. on a Friday night GLARING at all the parties going on around me. My love would say, "It IS late but it is also a Friday in Venice. What are ya gonna do?"

I know. I had my baby in Northern California.

I'm a cranky old lady too I guess.

amandajean said...

oh, i know how you feel. i'm old (in my mind) beyond my years. and i hate it. but that doesn't change the fact that i am. :)