6.10.2009

Exhibit A

white building, old town portland

white building, astoria, queens

New York has been on my mind recently. Not exactly in an "I'm dying to move back" sort of way. I've been thinking a lot about my brother and sister-in-law, who live down the street from our old apartment in Queens. I've been thinking about the visit that my sister, her husband, and their kids will probably make to NYC this summer, and how I'll miss seeing them there. I've been thinking of the brutal summer heat, which I loved (and, to be honest, hated, too). I've been thinking of the bead shops I'm dying to visit. And I've been thinking of the grit and grime which always made for good photo fodder. I definitely was more shutter-happy in NYC. Looking through files of photos this morning, I was struck by how many shots I'd saved from New York and I'd never posted here... and how similar so many of them are to shots I've been taking in Portland. Today, Exhibit A. Tomorrow, Exhibit B, from a Portland neighborhood that is as close to Queens, New York, as I've been since we moved here.

7 comments:

JanelleGrace said...

I miss the buildings in New York. I haven't been taking any photos lately...

Mariss said...

Sounds like a new project for you! I've been missing Florida a bit too, but maybe it's because it's far enough to forget about the annoying daily things. If you'd like, I'll send you some east coast grit in the post, direct from Philly. :)

Holly said...

I love this post! Comparing NY to Portland shots are fabulous!

rachel. said...

oh, you should come visit! we could have stumptown coffee -- in nyc :)

Carolyn said...

i miss NYC too (i lived there for 13 yrs) but it is quite sweet to visit and then come back to my home away from there. maybe you and i should have a chicago-portland meetup in NYC! :)

amandajean said...

i love the comparison photos! sorry that you are missing NYC. i saw a blogger post pictures of south haven, michigan and i missed it quite a lot, too. it was absolutely gorgeous there in the summer.

amisha said...

i had pupusas from the red hook vendors today and thought of you. as i do, actually, whenever i pull out my camera there- i'm thankful to you for pointing out the beauty and interest that is there in grit.