2.14.2009

Sweets for My Sweet


Since it's Valentine's Day and it's my favorite boy's birthday, I made Barry a batch of Mexican wedding cookies... 'cause you all know that I'd marry him a million times over. The cookies kick off a weekend filled with plans for serious eating and serious fun - exactly what we need after practically a month of being sick. I hope you have a sweet day with your loved ones.

Mexican Wedding Cakes, slightly adapted from Everyday Food, March 2006
makes 2 dozen

In a food processor, pulse one cup pecan halves, 1 cup all-purpose flour, one fourth cup granulated sugar, one fourth teaspoon ground cinnamon, and one eighth teaspoon salt until it resembles coarse meal. Add one half cup room temperature unsalted butter and pulse until dough forms. Shape dough into disc, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate 30 to 60 minutes, until firm.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Pinch off dough in tablespoon-size bits, roll into balls, and space them one and a half inches apart on two baking sheets. Bake, switching top and bottom sheets halfway through, for 20 -25 minutes total, until golden around the edges.
Cool for 5 minutes on sheets, then on a rack. When completely cooled, place one cup confectioners' sugar in a bowl and roll cookies in it twice to coat.

vintage tin from the now-closed Imp,
formerly on Alberta Street in Portland
...
I hope Barry likes it

12 comments:

Barry O'Connor said...

he loves it. thanks for an amazing birthday morning!

xoxo
b.

Nadia said...

Aw! You guys are so cute.

kat @ Taylor Made designs said...

yummy. happy birthday to Barry.
Enjoy your weekend, seriously :)

Mom said...

Dear Suzy and Barry,

Hope you are having a wonderful Valentine's Day celebration and Happy Birthday to Barry!

As you can see Dad has set me up for starters and Sulu comes up first on Safari! Now I don't have to wait to go into the office to read your blog! I am so excited!

The Mexican Wedding cookies look delicious and I know Barry will enjoy his birthday dinner! Love, Mom

Knitsonya said...

Yum! One of my fave cookies. Glad both of you are feeling better - let the feasting begin!

c.Rachel said...

Happy birthday to Barry!

My daughter spent the night at Auntie's [my sister's] and they made these! I get to taste it tomorrow. =)

house on hill road said...

i hope you guys had a great celebration!

abby try again said...

aw!
Happy Birthday, Barry!
Hope you two had a lovely day.

april said...

mmmmm! yum!
will you be my valentine, susan?

my "real" valentine is bunk! he left me all alone, sick with a week's worth of dirty dishes in the sink! boooooo!

Michelle said...

Ohh, lucky, lucky man! First off, thank GAWD you finally feel better, whew, and second, damn that cookie tin is hot.

amandajean said...

how could he NOT love it? you are too sweet. :) happy belated birthday to barry!

Feli said...

I use to make them with mom when I was a wee one. my only job was to pound the pecans with a mortar and pastel. Makes me wanna make some now.