2.02.2009

Holey Flu

My cold last week turned out to be the flu. I was knocked out for what seemed to be an eternity and only now am I starting to feel human once again. But even when I'm delirious with a fever and groaning from aches and pains (ridiculous aches and pains, I tell you), I have to keep myself busy or I'll go nuts. Perfect time to get some long-neglected mending done...


A moth-devoured sweater that I thought would become scrap for some future sewing project was saved thanks to an idea I saw in a library book, Craftivity by Tsia Carson, that I had in my stack. Turns out Amy reviewed it, like, two years ago.


I'd given up on the idea of fixing the sweater with patches as the moth holes in my sweater were numerous and oddly scattered. I liked the idea of accentuating the holes but stopping their spread by stitching around them with embroidery floss.


Now Barry's got what I had. He's already taught himself how to glue tubular tires onto his bike rims, and he's only been sick for two days. Our living room converts from craft studio to bike mechanic workshop, depending on who's sick.

14 comments:

Feli said...

hope you are feeling better. I love the idea of rescuing moth eaten sweaters like that. Makes it even more interesting

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

I have seen this before. If you can't fix it, emphasize it! I love what you have done with the blue floss.

May here be health in your house!

Chickenbells said...

What a fantastic idea!

Now you guys can hold craft classes for each other and teach each other what you know, right?

I hope you both feel better soon...

amandajean said...

that sweater is genius! what a wonderful treatment to a damaged sweater. i get super antsy when i am sick, too. i have to do SOMETHING. hope barry is feeling better soon.

Mariss said...

You poor things! Hope you're both feeling better very soon.

I think the embellished ex-moth holes look similar enough to patched bicycle tubes ;)

betsyandiya said...

I'm so glad you're on the mend. This ideas is BRILLIANT! It's good that you have such a motivated, creative spirit for crap days. I become much more blah.

kat @ Taylor Made designs said...

how clever! i love what you did.
I hope you both feel better soon!
Take care of yourselves.

Philigry said...

oh, i hope you are all better now. i feel like the older i get, those aches and pains get worse! i have to keep busy too when i am sick. love that sweater! what a fab idea!

amisha said...

glad you are on the mend!
i have been wanting to do this *forever* to a favorite sweater that is full of holes... thank you for putting that project back on my radar :) xo

The Lenart's said...

I am glad to hear you are better. At the same time you have just saved one of my projects. Thank you. You rock.

Julie Owsik Ackerman said...

Hey Suz, Just catching up on your blog. Loved color week. You are so faithful to your blue. I'm much more flighty, having gone through serious green, pink, and purple phases in the past few years. Oh, and warm colors last winter.

Hope you and Barry are better soon. Being sick sucks!!!

Michelle said...

ohh, how cute, I am sorry you are sick, that SUCKS. yay for you that you were still productive, I am the same, I hate doing nothing, even sick. Sending you Robatussin vibes.

Carolyn said...

I LOVE this idea! Thanks for sharing. :)

Nadia said...

Sorry to hear that you were sick! The sweater looks great, though.