12.23.2008

On Scaling Back

Aside from the fact that I got a jump start on our handmade holiday gifts last month, the real reason that I'm not in freak-out mode this Christmas is that we've scaled way back on the holiday preparations this year. I did not make a single holiday-related decoration this season. I hung the same wreaths I made last year. I pulled out my old fabric scrap trees. I hung some felt stockings I'd made long ago. We did get a tree, a smaller one than in years past, and draped it with the garland I made by finger knitting last Christmas. In the course of one evening early this December, the apartment became just a wee bit more cozy and Christmas-like. We didn't make our Christmas cards as we'd intended... maybe next year. There's been almost no baking to speak of. If we were parents, we'd be the biggest Scrooges ever. But we're not. It's been super low key here. Just as we wanted this time around.

Every morning this month, instead of scribbling down a list of to-do's and concocting some master plan to squeeze way too much into my pre-Christmas day, I've sat by our little tree with my usual breakfast cereal (now being served in my new favorite bowl from Ink and Peat), and daydreamed a bit. I've thought of the wonderful Christmases I had as a kid, I've thought of my far-away family whom I adore, I've thought of how I've come to love this wonderful city we live in (even though a year ago I was feeling all undone about it). I've gone on long walks in our perfectly snowy neighborhood. And I've thought about how content I am, doing a lot less than before.


same tree as last year, happily not undone

10 comments:

erinn said...

we've done the same thing. which has allowed me more time to bake, sit and have coffee by the tree and just take it all in. merry christmas and happy new year to you, susan.

Artsy Momma said...

I am so jealous. I am not in the time crunch that I was last year but I do have to make a scrapbook in a day! Eek! I will get it done I just wish I would have timed it out better so I am not stressing and rushing through it.

Carol Emma said...

I'm so pleased you have come to love your new home! Wondering if your scaling back and easy-going attitude could be due (at least in part) to the new location, since Portland is known for its laid back atmosphere.
It happened to me, by osmosis, when I moved to a smaller, friendlier town...Merry Christmas!!...

Nadia said...

It's good to hear that you're not getting stressed about it. I'm doing a low-key Xmas too and it feels great.

kat @ Taylor Made designs said...

I have been reusing christmas decorations + stuff from previous years for awhile now. I feel like the holidays get easier because of this. This year I bought only two new ornaments. {a little vice of mine} I don't feel too stressed about everthing which is refreshing!
Happy Holidays :)

Mariss said...

Good for you guys! I don't think you're being Scrooges, you're just having yourselves a thoughtful little Christmas!

If it makes you feel any better, Mike and I have never got our own tree. Maybe next year. We made ornaments for ourselves this year, and I made a teeny garland and we played Xmas music.

Have a Merry Christmas however you want! xo

Chickenbells said...

Happy Christmas. What a beautiful way to celebrate...take the time to really enjoy the season the way you want to.

april said...

Merry Christmas Susan!!!
This is the best Christmas I've had on the west coast! All the snow makes it legit!!! It's pretty magical! Although our trip to the interior has been postponed or cancelled (not sure entirely yet) we woke up to a literal winter wonderland!
I hope you are enjoying your snow and that you and Barry have a really nice holiday!

amandajean said...

good for you for scaling back-yet another lesson i could learn from you! merry christmas and happy new year, my friend! it's been great blogging with you this year.

Anonymous said...

this is so sweet, i'm glad you enjoyed your holiday! wishing you more moments of slowing down in the new year. :)

heather
beautythatmoves