11.04.2008

Crafty Itch: Exhibit A - Belting

After chatting with a friend of a friend who makes leather bracelets, I had to check out his source for all leather craft supplies, Oregon Leather Company in Old Town Portland. It's such a cool store, full of leather in any form you could hope to find it, full of buckles and tacks, full of lots of old-fashioned doodads that are fun to poke through. I told myself that I had to start slow, that I could buy enough supplies for one project and when it was complete I could come back. So I hurried up and made this, a simple belt to tie around my tunics and too-big sweaters:


With my remaining material I made another belt, almost exactly the same as the one above but with a four-strand braid tie, thanks to this tutorial. And now that all of my leather is used up, I get to go back to Oregon Leather Company. Nice.

15 comments:

Kelly said...

love!!! it!!! when will they be for sale in your shop?

Leslie said...

Really great belt. Always good to explore and try new things! Have fun!

lealou said...

love it! I definitely need one of these as all of my sweaters seem to be too big!

pricklypearbloom said...

Ooh! Fun!

laundrygirl said...

Pretty cute!
We used to go to a place here called Tandy Leather but unfortunately it closed down. It was such a cool store. I love the smell of leather...

Nadia said...

That is super cute!

ambika said...

This looks very cool. Maybe I'll peek in this next time I'm in Portland.

Jamie Watson said...

Wow, it's a really smart looking belt. How wonderful to be learning a new skill!

alyson. said...

I'm totally going there on my lunch break. such a great idea!

JanelleGrace said...

Oh, how fun! And I don't think I've owned rainboots since I was a kid.

My Love is..... said...

ohhhhh leather work.... well done. cant wait to see more. happy shopping.

asphaltandair said...

susan, this is just lovely.
such a nice way to cinch up a large sweater!
any chance that this crafty itch will lead you to put a few of these in your shop?

april said...

so nice! I love the little curls of leather! it makes it just that little bit more feminine. just lovely!

amandajean said...

oh, how cute are you in your new leather handmade belt? (in your too large sweater...what a wonderful problem to have!)

angie said...

gorgeous! I love Oregon Leather Company too. Hmm… I might have to add a vistit to my list next week and see what kind of belt I can come up with. Thanks, Susan. *a