11.05.2008

Crafty Itch: Exhibit B - Printing

I have two ladies to thank for my second bout of recent craft frenzy. First there is Abby, who lent me her copy of Lotta Prints, the book that really got this crafty ball rolling. And then there is the fabulous sales clerk at Collage on Alberta Street who gave me tons of great advice on supplies and techniques for my new printing obsession. I picked up a Speedball block printing starter kit and a sheet of speedy-carve and haven't looked back, making stamps non-stop, Original Intent style:




Do you see the faint lines in the road on that second to last photo that inspired the stamp? I'm really digging those...
I've been thinking up lots of printing projects, but the one I jumped at first was a project that Lotta suggested in her book - labeling jars:

Lotta's got lots of beautiful printing ideas in her book, and I've got a few more up my sleeve. If you have any great printing/stamping project ideas, I'd love to hear 'em.

My crafty itch continues in full force, but it dawned on me that I can't post about much of it as it's wrapped up in handmade holiday gift-making for my family (members of which are avid readers here... right, family?). I started my handmade holiday preparation several weeks ago and am rolling full force, so as not to have a repeat of last December. What are you handmaking for the holidays?

14 comments:

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

it starts with a simple block, then it really takes hold of you and you find yorself driving all over the country for antiquated printing equipment.

or not. but trust me, I know the feeling!

great designs

Anna Allen said...

You are so inspiring! I have the book "Printing By Hand" and am itching to start! I just haven't found the time yet.

I'd like to hand make at least some of my presents this year, but I'm starting to get down to the wire! I keep thinking I have more time, but now it's already November! Must get some yarn and start knitting! :)

Bitterbetty said...

those are really lovely and I also adored the belt.

handmade and done early... please let my holiday dream come true!

abbyjane said...

i love these! and what i love most is how they were inspired the same way your earrings are inspired. so very cool how your mind work! beautiful.

Mariss said...

Eeeeeeek! I love your carvings!!! What a cool way to go along with your original intents. You should make some prints and add them to the store ;) Someone can get a set of earrings, a print and a photo! What a gal.

You're totally inspiring me. I've been jonesing to do some carving too, but am thinking -- do I really need ANOTHER hobby right now. I think so. I'm off to tell Mike what I want for my birthday -- carving tools!

abby said...

Love your prints!
Isn't that book just great?
Thanks for everything always, Susan. You are the best. But really, the best!

house on hill road said...

would you believe it? i am not making anything. well, i am not planning on it. silly, i know.

love your prints.

pricklypearbloom said...

The Husband and I went and made blown glass ornaments, and we are going to go to another session to make some more. And then I think I am going to give framed photographs. They, at least, are already done, just need to decide which ones.

Jamie Watson said...

That is radness!!! I am making potted succulents and limoncellos and possibly candied walnuts for presents this year. Maybe prints too! I'm totally doing the handmade thing this year.

Ooo yes, framed photos are a great gift too, glad I read that from pricklypear.

april said...

even your jars stored away in cupboards are stylin'! I've been thinking about starting up some lino-cuts myself, but when I looked for my old tool kit I couldn't find it. It will have to wait until payday now!

Robyn said...

those prints are great! I love the labels on the jar. I'm going to have to try that.

amandajean said...

i love your labeled jars! and I love love LOVE that they are original intent style.

mia said...

hm, I see i'm not the only one with a jar collection problem. Of course mine say things like "brined capers" while holding things more like "dried rosemary".
There are many an edible thing being given this year (like pickles and jelly). and now I think I have an idea of how to label them! Now I just need a day or 2 off before christmas. double hm.
those jars are adorable.

MC said...

Love the first two, what a strange and lovely combination of geometric shapes!