9.25.2008

Digging Myself Out

Your suggestions about changing little things in my routine in order to get out of my current rut are much appreciated, and are much in line with the approach I've decided to take to get myself moving. I started by doing something I almost never do: taking photos to respond to a blog tag - a blog tag! When Kristi tagged me with the task of showing what's on my kitchen walls, I realized that I've not been using my camera recently for much other than photographing jewelry, and I'd like to get back in the habit of snapping pictures more often. So here's what I got, Kristi:

(pardon the painfully matchy red thing going on here...
it's not intentional -

a lot of good old red junk seems to make it's way into our hands)
A few other turns I'm trying to make in order to climb out of this rut:
The kitchen cabinets have been reorganized and a few chairs have traded places throughout the apartment. You know how I love to rearrange when my mind need readjusting. (Hey, there's a kitchen wall shot in that link, too, Kristi.)
I've been flipping through some cookbooks to get ideas for different recipes and ingredients than the ones I've been relying on for months (I mean, I love a garden-fresh tomato as much as the next guy, but we've gotta eat more than salads and pasta around here every once in a while). I'm excited that the season change is going to mean new kinds of produce at the market. Got any great autumn recipes? Bring 'em on.
I have an appointment with a trainer this morning to shake up my gym routine a bit. I'm thinking I may want to train for another race. Or join an athletic club. Or a sports team. Or something. Maybe.
And, as it's such a big part of my life, I thought I should make a little change in the jewelry department, too, so I got myself some new beads and dove in with these, all in the sulu-design etsy shop now:

One more change that I'd love to make is in my music collection. And ideas on good new music? I could especially use some upbeat, fast-ish paced music to run to, but anything that's currently moving you will do. Thanks for your suggestions. By the way, for some reason, Blogger hasn't been sending me e-mail notification of most comments for a long time now, so I can't always reply back with an e-mail to the sweet notes you leave here. Please know that each and every one is truly appreciated.

20 comments:

alyson. said...

love your findings...

I've been listening to Port O'Brien and the Bowerbirds a lot lately. quite good!

erinn said...

I can't find the recipe directly on the Wegman's website, but here is a link to the recipe on my blog. http://tinyurl.com/3ryykl Around here, Roasted Cauliflower Gorgonzola Bisque is the favorite fall meal. With some great bread of course! Enjoy!

asphaltandair said...

As I was tagging you, I seriously thought...there's no way she's going to do this.
hah! you've surprised me!
your treasures are beautiful. a little bird told that you have an amazing house...so sorry i din't get a chance to see it "live".
good luck with shaking things up.
i'm looking forward to reading the music suggestions.
mine:
lali puna

ambika said...

I'm no help with recipes but you might like Justice or Be Your Own Pet for fast paced music.

Robyn said...

love the clock picture. have you heard of N.E.R.D? (some lyrics a bit explicit, but the beats are pretty awesome). Or Lupe Fiasco.

amandajean said...

you did a tag! I almost fell off my chair!!!

I love the matchy red accents in your kitchen. you can't go wrong with red in my opinion.

Erin said...

oh dear...I can relate Susan. When I get in a rut I start to declutter, organize, exercise and find it really helps to clear my head. I hope you figure things out soon. As for music I will often go to the library and check out their new cd's...i typically burn them and put them on my MP3 player. Not sure what kind of music you like but I have been listening to a series of CD's called "Grammy Nominees" 2004 and up. Very eclectic from Bruce Springsteen, Madonna, Cold Play, Beyonce, Feist, Gnarls Barkley, Jully Black...but most important they are great songs to work out too! As for recipes I have a yummy curried squash and carrot soup one...i will dig it up and email it to you. Big (((hugs)))

house on hill road said...

i was just thinking about another race....

Jamie Watson said...

So nice to read your post today!

I want to try Erinn's bisque. Right before I read your blog, I read this yummy sounding risotto recipe on NPR: http://tinyurl.com/3qx85v

(I've never made risotto before!) Fun reading all the music suggestions. Will take notes...

futuregirl said...

White Rabbits, New Ruins, Okkervil River, Built to Spill ... and some not so fast but still my faves: I love you but I've chosen darkness, devastations, sun kil moon

Knitsonya said...

Do you think all "this" might have something to do with summer being over? I am such a HUGE autumn fan and with the cool weather all I want to do it toss some root veggies in a skillet with some olive oil and roast them. Any and all kind: beets, carrots, parsnips, yams, sweet potatoes (my fave is the satsuma), potatoes. Add onions, a coat of olive oil, pepper and salt then pop it into a 400 degree oven. Stir it about every so often and when things have gone all lovely with crisp and caramelized bits, it's done. Yummy!

lealou said...

funny - I have red all over my kitchen too and people keep giving me red things to match it! I do love the bits of red though...

...and I LOVE your new earrings - I have to get over to etsy to grab some before they're gone!

pricklypearbloom said...

I've got to tell you that I immediately clicked on those last earrings and bought them before I could even finish reading this post. :)

I'm glad you're digging yourself out. I'm trying.

asphaltandair said...

More music tips:

Architecture in Helsinki
Santogold
Chk Chk Chk (!!!)
Regina Spector

asphaltandair said...

oops...
that's
Spektor (with a k not c)

Chickenbells said...

A sports team? How wonderful...that is a sure fire way to spice up your life! Let's see...I have a ton of squash sitting around here, so I just diced some squash, sweet potatoes, garlic and onions and a few spices that I found in the cupboard and cooked them all together in a pan and then filled some taco shells with them, topped them with goat cheese...baked them for a bit and then put some tomatoes and avocados on them as well (along with salsa)...they were lovely, and quite colorful for the fall! I'm probably just going to blog about them as well...

carolyn said...

"Pershing" by Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin is good for running to...if you're not that fast of a runner anyway.

Michelle said...

I love your house, and your kitchen walls (and antique finds) are as glorious as I would expect them to be!

Kim said...

Great stuff in your kitchen. I've got red objects scattered around my house. Gotta love the red. AS for music, flvor of the month is Stella Star.

amisha said...

your home shots are always so inspiring to me, susan. i love the care you take with these little vignettes.
music-wise, i love to exercise to franz ferdinand!
xo