9.26.2008

Confessions of an Antique Mall Shopper

I've been on an anti-shopping kick for a while now, taking breaks whenever I find it convenient to do so (how's that for dedication?). I have to admit, though, when I was really in the thick of the no-shopping bit a couple months back, something happened that truly necessitated a break from the shopping diet. My favorite antique mall in Portland was closing one of it's three locations and was having a huge sale to clear the place out... the place with the rockin' midcentury booth... the place with the crazy beautiful Scandinavian pieces. Be still my beating heart. As I was taking photos of our kitchen for my post yesterday, I was reminded of the steals that Barry and I picked up that I never posted here (perhaps because I forgot, or more likely because I fell so hard off my high no-shopping horse that I hurt my shutter-hitting finger). No matter, I am at a place now where I can admit to picking up some pretty good loot while I wasn't shopping:

this little guy came in his original box from Budapest with a wind-up key...
he's my favorite find by far

also making an appearance in the living room...
a long, thin teak tray
I think we're official collectors at this point

the kitchen wasn't neglected:
we found some oil and vinegar cruets,
some wooden cutting boards,
and a bowl for our onions and heads of garlic

and an old desk lamp made its way into our bedroom

Oh yeah, also while I wasn't shopping, I snagged a stack of great old pyrex casseroles for a buck each at a yard sale. I feel so much better now that that's off my chest.

13 comments:

rachel. said...

they closed a location?! bummer. guess the economy is affecting everyone, huh. great finds, though! i'm going to make my way to hell's kitchen flea this weekend, if the rain stops :) (feels like portland today.)

xoxo.

april said...

I'm always breaking my "no shopping" rule! I actually don't have a no shopping rule... I just couldn't bear it! I'm a thrifter, there is just too much good stuff out there waiting to be found!
I think that you did the right thing bringing that stuff home.

Knitsonya said...

I am a sucker for all things wind-up and I need to get into a buy nothing phase, but there is something to be said for those one-of-a-kind items that won't ever, never make themselves available again. Like that killer lamp.

littlebyRD said...

great stuff! I have entertained a no shopping rule but it has never gotten further than that with me!

Chickenbells said...

Well, you know what they say...admitting it is the very first step. I think you have always been a collector, but one with a wonderful and discerning eye for just the right things to compliment her space! I love them all so much...especially the little wind up toy, they are so sweet aren't they?

amandajean said...

I want to go shopping with you! your finds are fantastic. I'm glad you broke your no shopping rule for such wonderful treasures.

shy_smiley said...

Ya know, when you're not buying up every little piece that catches your eye, the things you do find and purchase mean more to you. I'm on an economically-induced anti-shopping kick, too. I admit, if I'd found pieces as lovely as those you've shared, I'd have to buy them too!

house on hill road said...

you have a great eye! such wonderful finds, susan!

Julie Owsik Ackerman said...

Hi Suz,

Just wanted to say I love your blog, and just sent a link to my girls from Merion, because it's just so good. (And because they were admiring my sulu earrings this weekend.)

As for fall recipes, (or ideas) I just made taquitos last night for the first time in ages. With salsa verde, it's great comfort food. Also, I learned how to make crab cakes this weekend. Surprisingly easy.

Stephanie said...

Oooh ... good stuff. I love the wind-up man. And I just found the twin of your desk lamp at a store near me. Seeing how well it looks in your house is almost enough to get me to hop in the car right now.

angie said...

Hi Susan!

I'm back and would LOVE to chat about paintings and antique finds! I was in the midwest and I wanted to bring back a trailer full of finds! hope you are well and you had a good trip too. *a

handknit168 said...

first visit yr blog and love yours. yr collection of stuff is very interesting.

JanelleGrace said...

This is making me jealous but not too much because we are moving to Portland! In December!