7.05.2008

Two Flower Posts in Two Days?

Yeah, flowers are pretty and smell good and symbolize spring and summer and all that kind of nice stuff, but I tend to get more excited looking at buildings in states of disrepair or at the geometry of industrial pieces than I do by floral growth. However, seeing as Barry and I live within walking distance of Portland's Rose Garden in Washington Park, we thought it was high time we get our butts over there and see what all the fuss over this place is about. And holy cow. This is one idyllic setting. Enough to blow away this brick and metal loving girl. I'll never trash talk a flower again.


My favorites, of course, were the flowers that had begun to wilt and shrivel up a bit. Some morbidly dark roses caught my eye, too.


Actually, though, my favorite part of visiting the Rose Garden was lying on a blanket there, watching the clouds and the day float on by.

9 comments:

david santos said...

Wonderful!!!
Very nice photos and very nice colours.
Have a nice weekend

amandajean said...

susan, this post was so well written and cute. you are one amazing brick and metal loving girl. glad to had a chance to stop and smell the roses. (ha!-sorry for the lame pun. I couldn't resist.)

house on hill road said...

sounds like a wonderful day to spend the afternoon.

Kat - Taylor Made designs said...

as someone who just loves a good garden and flowers, I am jealous that you have something like that within walking distance! Sounds like you had a wonderful day :)

Mariss said...

You're too funny! Scoffing the algorithms of flower growth for your love of decrepit brick and mortar!

How fun to enjoy a day of lallygagging and laying on a blanket. Mike cannot stand sitting in parks, I don't know what is wrong with him! Good think I have other friends who do ;)

Wende said...

BLUE SKY. Oh, yes... and flowers. hee

Lovely, lovely. We had a bit of that last week... which was a good thing considering. :D

Knitsonya said...

I have heard tell about the rose garden, must go and see - though Powell's is higher on my list. But lying and looking at the clouds, lovely.

Dog Gone said...

Like you, I love decaying architectural landscapes. Living in Portland though, has given me a whole new appreciation of gardens & blooming flowers. Just the variety of colors, shapes of things growing here is amazing & just plain makes me grin even when the days are overcast.

Alice said...

These look nice, I miss Portland today!