7.30.2008

In Which My Train of Thought Goes Full Speed Ahead

Bear with me. Lots of coffee has been consumed this morning. I'm a bit of a motor mouth right now...

The other day Barry and I drove to Kruger's Farm for our second round of berry picking. We've vowed to go weekly until there are no more berries to be had. The road we take there runs happily alongside a train track and an industrial area full of great sights. It all had me feeling a bit giddy. The sights and sounds of the working farm had me swooning, too. And while the bushes didn't have loads of berries, there were enough to bring home a couple pints to make this:

Blackberry Cornmeal Cake
(adapted from Everyday Food Magazine's September 2005 issue)
1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/2 c yellow cornmeal
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 c plus 2t sugar, and 1/4 c for sprinkling
1/2 c reduced-fat buttermilk
2 large eggs
7 T unsalted butter, melted, plus 1 t for skillet
2 pints fresh blackberries (or berries of your choice)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix all of the dry ingredients (first five above) in a large bowl, leaving out the 1/4 c sugar for later. Whisk the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl, leaving out the 1T butter. Pour wet mix into dry mix bowl and whisk to combine. In a 10 inch skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of butter in the oven until it melts and swirl it around to coat the bottom and sides of skillet. Pour batter into skillet and scatter berries on top. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 c sugar over top. Bake for 45-50 minutes (you may want to put the skillet on a baking sheet to catch drips). Let cool for 30 minutes. Loosen edges with a knife and serve.

Here's where the train of thought veers in a random direction. The morning that we headed out for berry picking, Barry and I were enjoying a pastry and coffee at a local bakery where I was snapping photos like mad. I took a few shots of Barry, and allowed him to take a couple of me (I almost never let him take pictures of me - I'm one of those annoying people). Anyhow that's how we ended up with this:

My newest earrings, made with pieces I picked up in Klamath Falls last week. And this leads me to my most recent sulu-design etsy shop update, full of earrings made with distressed discs, my most recent obsession.

Oh, and the last stop on my train of thought this morning: my friend, Holly. I made the earrings above while hanging out at her place this weekend. Aside from the fact that she didn't bat an eye at the rat's nest of unwashed hair I had perched above my head or the trashy tank top I wore over to her place, she has an awesome sense of humor and gives great advice. And I've been thinking recently about how lucky I am to have a friend like her.
Lucky for you, I have to stop my rambling now and get to work. Have a lovely day, friends.

19 comments:

Artsy Momma said...

The best post ever *smile* It had all of my favorite things, trains, yummy food and pretty earrings!

Enjoy your day!

erinn said...

mmm. nice recipe. So glad I now have an ear to think of when I read your blog. Maybe an eyebrow next time. I know, I hardly ever let Carl take photos of me.

The Lenart's said...

These are amazing. I am in need of expansing my sulu earring collection. Love the picture of the train going by.

Nadia said...

Sulu, I love your photography. Why don't you do it as a job? You take the simplest shapes and lay them out perfectly. I have to admit that half the time I'm looking at the earrings, half the time I'm looking at the lay out.

If you become a professional photographer, I will become a millionaire, buy lots of crap JUST so you could shoot it. I swear! *Pinky* swear!

Dog Gone said...

So much to view, read, comment, but here's my last one as I have more guests arriving later today. Busy summer & I'm loving playing tourist!
Yum on the blackberry cake, the distressed disc earrings, your amazing photos! And I agree with Nadia- while your witty words crack me up at times, I must say those pictures just stop me, make me pause & enjoy.
Hope to see you at the art walk; will stop by your shoppe.

laundrygirl said...

These are beautiful earrings! As usual, I love your photos. I took a picture of a moving train the other day! How wild is that!

Chickenbells said...

I think it is a lovely picture of you...

beki said...

Those earrings are great, Susan!

Knitsonya said...

Love the new earrings! We drove past Crater Lake on the way up, one of these days (we tried going one December years ago, but didn't have chains for the Volvo we were driving and had to turn around) but we ware here in Oregon - Kruegers, YUM! we might make a trip there, but the weather is beautiful here on the beach. As long as I'm writing a letter here...

My Love is..... said...

gorgeous distressed disc's susan. I luv em!!

ambika said...

What a lovely train of thought. Industrial inspiration, lovely food, and gorgeous jewelry. Makes me wish I could have been there!

house on hill road said...

not too rambling at all! the earrings are so pretty, susan.

angie said...

ooooh… love your new earrings! and you've got my tummy rumbling for some berries too! isn't summer in portland the best?!

Miz S said...

You have the cutest ears ever!

holly said...

OK - this is my most favorite post! I am the lucky one to have such a talented, funny, beautiful, thoughtful friend. We should definitely do more girl-days while the boys go and ride bikes up some mountain.
I love the new earrings - have gotten too many compliments on them and am proud to say they are my favorite designer, SULU!
Love you, Suz!!

maritza said...

Your new batch of earrings is fabulous! I love 'em!

Jessi Moroney - Artist and Designer said...

You are such a talented artist, and so sweet to have gone home and made a replica of the beautiful distressed disc earrings for me. What a gift! They are my new favorites. I can wait to explore more of your art. I'm getting ready to begin a series of paintings involving oil and metals. You and Barry will have to give me criticism as I go along. Thank you again.

Erin said...

oh susan it's been way to long since i have stopped by for a visit. as usual i love your earrings...actually i have a pair of your earrings on as i type this. glad to hear you had fun berry picking. that cake looks yummy. danielle and i went blueberry picking for the first time yesterday and had a blast. 15 pounds of blueberries later I am sure we will be making pies, cakes etc.

I love your new earrings. I had a good chuckle at the glimpse of your head. for some reason I thought you were blond! so we have seen your feet and now the side of your hair and neck. One day I would love to see a full on shot of your face :o) Glad to catch up! (((hugs)))

shari said...

oh these are so lovely susan. xo