7.04.2008

Getting Bossed Around on Independence Day

Funny that Abby should mention her lovely boss today. I've been thinking about our Ms. Boss Lady all morning. (Did you know Abby and I have the same boss? Of course not, why would you?) Ms. Boss Lady brought me these pretty flowers from her garden to thank me for dealing with an obnoxious customer the other day. I've been admiring them on my kitchen windowsill as I've been cooking and baking for the barbecue that said boss is hosting this evening.

I've taken a few tastes of the dishes I've prepared, and so far, two recipes from the June 2005 issue of Everyday Food haven't disappointed. Hey, what's wrong with 2005? I swear I'm not a pack rat; I make use of those oldie-but-goodie magazines. Since I can't find them on-line (did they have the internet back then?), here are my somewhat edited versions:
Sweet Potato and Ginger Salad
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Toss 2 1/2 pounds of sweet potatoes, cut into 3/4 inch chunks, 1 T olive oil, 1 tsp coarse salt, and 1/4 tsp ground pepper on a non-stick rimmed baking sheet and roast for 35 minutes, until fork-tender. In a large bowl, whisk 2 T fresh orange juice, 1 T oil, 1 T minced fresh ginger, and 2 tsp Dijon mustard. Add 3 thinly sliced scallions and potatoes to the bowl and toss with dressing. Season with salt and pepper. Serve warm, cold, or at room temperature. If preparing in advance, wait to toss dressing, scallions, and potatoes together until just before serving. Side dish complete.
Lemon Fig Cake
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil the sides of a 9 inch cake pan and line bottom with parchment. I freaking love parchment. Whisk 1/2 c olive oil, 1/2 c milk, and one large egg in a bowl. In another large bowl, stir together 1 1/2 c flour, 3/4 c sugar, 1/2 tsp baking powder, and 1/4 tsp salt. Add wet mixture to dry mixture, stirring gently with a rubber spatula. Fold in 10 oz coarsely chopped dried figs (stems removed) and 1 1/2 tsp finely grated lemon zest. Spread batter in pan, put pan on baking sheet, bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes in pan, unmold and transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Wouldn't this be good with some fresh cream? Dessert done. And now I'm off to enjoy a day off of work, 'cause even when you have an awesome boss, it's good to have time off, too.
Happy 4th of July fellow US residents, and happy eating, friends.

11 comments:

laundrygirl said...

happy 4th of july!

amandajean said...

happy 4th, susan. I hope you have a wonderful time at your bbq tonight. thanks for the birthday wishes, too!

Esti said...

How lucky to have a boss that gives you flowers. My boss wouldn't even think of anything similar...
;)

Enjoy your weekend!

shari said...

hope your 4th was fun! love your beautiful flowers. xo

house on hill road said...

what a sweet boss!
happy 4th!

Knitsonya said...

That cake sounds divine! And I have to say, I like your edited version, parchment paper love and all.

LeeAnn said...

I just sent that sweet potato recipe to my sister in law. She loves all things sweet potato. Those flowers are so gorgeous. I have hopes when we purchase a house that I can share flowers from my own garden with friends. Happy 4th!

Mom said...

Hi Honey,

Both recipes sounds delicious and on the off chance that I don't have my 2005 issues of Everyday Food (but I think I have saved them all) am copying these recipes. Was surprised to see olive oil used in baking the fig cake??? Sweet potato recipe is wonderful and very healthy!

Glad you had such a nice holiday weekend. Love, Mom

Dog Gone said...

YUM! Thanks for sharing those recipes. Fav ingredients - sweet potatoes & ginger, lemon & figs- for me!

amisha said...

having a good boss is SO nice (and why is it so rare??) i have a fabulous one right now and i am appreciating it so much.
your 4th of july cooking sounds yummy... hope the bbq was fun!
xox

Shakespere said...

Enjoyed your post. It was enjoyable.