7.14.2008

Berries with Barry


If you live in Portland or if you read a blog by any other Porltander, surely by now you are familiar with the glory that is Kruger's Farm on Sauvie Island. I've only been on the farm when it's been closed for the season (remember my rotting pumpkin original intent photo?), so this morning Barry and I figured it was high time we make our way there for some good old fashioned U-Pick. We came home with several pints of marionberries and raspberries which are going to be used in a couple yummy baked goods - if we can stop snacking on them long enough for me to fold them into some batter. Kruger's is going to be a weekly stop until the end of berry season if I have anything to say about it. And since I delinquently mentioned a berry crumble last week without providing the recipe, now seems like the perfect time to post it (just for you, Ma). It's loosely based on the apple crisp recipe in my kitchen go-to, How to Cook Everything by Mark Bitman.
Simple Crispy Crumble
6 c peeled, cored fruit (last week I used nectarines and raspberries - this week it's berries all the way)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
Juice of half a lime (Mark says lemon, but I'm all about limes)
1 T sugar
2/3 c brown sugar
5 T unsalted butter (Mark calls for it cold, but I let it soften just a bit... you'll see why)
1/2 c rolled oats
1/2 c flour
1/4 c chopped nuts
dash salt
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss the fruit with half the cinnamon, lime juice, and sugar. Spread it in a buttered 9 inch round baking pan. Combine all of the remaining ingredients and pulse in a food processor or mix by hand (this is where softened butter is your friend). Spread this topping over the fruit and bake 30-40 minutes, until topping is browned. Serve with something cold and creamy. Make your belly full. Go to bed happy.

16 comments:

house on hill road said...

thanks for the recipe - i needed that!

abby said...

ha!
twinsies.
Are ya all ready for tomorrow?
You must be baking up a storm, girl.
Thanks for being awesome.
I'm having gift making anxiety. And I feel safe writing this because I am pretty sure she doesn't know how to read the comments, yet.
Sometime we will have to get together on a non work related thing-and I swear-in real life I am much more fun and not a constant stress case.
Peace out, dude.

ileana said...

Oh, that sounds delicious! Thanks for the recipe.

mia said...

I might need to make this crumble with my csa fruit this week. sounds yumyumyummy!

asphaltandair said...

mmmm...
sounds delicious.
my favorite part of the recipe is the part about the full belly and going to bed happy.
so sweet.

HG said...

Those berries look delicious!

Artsy Momma said...

Oh yum that recipe is making my mouth water at 7:30 in the morning. I know what I am picking up at the farmer's market this weekend!!

Beulah Sorensen said...

I miss marionberries so much! My grandma made a pie that was to die for...

Mariss said...

I will have to make this! I seriously made that chick pea recipe that you posted last winter about 5 times! Thanks, Susan :)

Chickenbells said...

That sounds amazing...and I think I can just about tweak it enough to be able to eat (even with all the food allergies...) And, berries are on sale this week at the grocery...

amandajean said...

mmmm.

I love the way you write recipes. but then again, I pretty much adore everything I see (and read) on your blog. :)

ease between notches said...

Oh yum! I'm going to try this as soon as it's no longer a sweltering 90+ degrees!!

Knitsonya said...

I can't believe it! I was just reading about Kruger's Thursday Summer concert series on another blog. And I have been thinking, Northwest, mmmmm berries. Now you've gone and done it!

Jamie Watson said...

Yummy yummy in my tummy! I'm going to make this!

laundrygirl said...

Looks and sounds delicious! We used to have a neighbor who would bring us buckets of blackberries. He was an old man and died two years ago. Of course blackberries came to represent summer as well as memories of Pop...

bitter betty said...

isn't crumble the erfect baked fruit medium? so fantastic !!!