5.30.2008

Go Away Gray

Portland is having a seriously gray Spring. Not that I'm complaining... just sayin'. So last weekend, I decided to change things around a bit in my little workspace, saturating the desktop where I make jewelry with as much color as I could.

I don't think I've ever shared a full-size image of my workspace in our apartment with you, probably out of my dislike of the look of our clunky t.v. set that dominates the top corner of it. You can imagine how the electric cords (the ones that are smack dab in the center of that middle shelf, see?) drive my anal-retentive side nutty. But I digress.

The owner of our apartment converted a Murphy bed that was original to our unit into this built-in desk. I'd kill for that Murphy bed now. Our overnight guests know what I mean - thirty-one is too old to be sleeping on an air mattress in the dining room. But the desk is also a great feature as it's an out-of-the-way space for me to work on sulu-design pieces. The cupboards on either side of the chair hide my cases of neurotically organized beads.

The punchy colors that now stare me down when I sit at the desk must have rubbed off on me, as the most recent additions to my etsy shop continue to boom with brightness:

Images, as usual, are links to the earrings' listings.
Oh... did I mention? I'm offering clip on earrings now.
E-mail me if you're interested in having a pair converted:
sulu-design@hotmail.com

Here's hoping for a bright weekend for us all!

21 comments:

erinn said...

yes, tv's and cords are the bane of my existence. But your workspace is soo sweet despite them! I want to make covers for all of our tv's so I could look at some great amy butler fabric instead of glass and plastic. Mm. Thanks for the portland salvage link!

Wende said...

Your work space is terrific... beats the floor, eh? But I hear you about space for guests.

And this gray is getting to me. SERIOUSLY getting to me.

Artsy Momma said...

Love your space. Loving the prints of the barns btw. As hard as I try to run away from it I will always be a country girl at heart.

amy said...

such a great workspace! and i love the new earrings!

Mariss said...

Your workspace is adorable, and think of how much more useful it is than the 2% (?) of time that your guests visit you. Plus, they all adore you, so probably don't mind the air mattress ;)

What about cutting a thin piece of wood or mat board to fit into the space and cover the "hideous" cords? You could cut out a hole...? Although, I'm impressed with your cable managment! If you do something like that, just make sure whatever you use is not too close to your heat radiating electrical appliances.

Dog Gone said...

Oh your space is wonderful & I love the bar prints, too.
Luv how you make the gray days produce fantastic colorful pieces. Just the view on your blog brightens my day!

Chickenbells said...

Why do people take original fixtures out of homes? People do that ALL the time here...we bought a wonderful "built in" ironing board at a yard sale for $10 (it's soooo wonderful) My mother has it...as I actually have my original one. They are sooo handy, and I LOVE to iron now (weird but true) And Murphy beds are very cool...I'm sorry you don't have yours...sigh.

maritza said...

Your workspace is so neat and orderly; it is lovely. And can I tell you how excited I am to hear that you are now offering your beautiful earrings as clip-ons?

Jamie Watson said...

What a treat to see your work space. I like it. And neat that the weather inspired you to add more color there and in your new earrings. Happy weekend!

casey said...

what a lovely nook to work in! I just love how organized everything is. :)

My Love is..... said...

ohhhh susan you create such beautiful spaces.

Knitsonya said...

I am so not laughing. I would love to have a space like that. Doors are verrry important. If they lock, even better.

amandajean said...

it's fun to see your workspace! is that bird piece one of Lisa Congdon's by chance?

house on hill road said...

your space is gorgeous. and i would have never noticed the cords if you hadn't pointed them out.

littlebyRD said...

Love your work space! I wonder if you could wrap some pretty ribbon or yarn around the cords? I actually didn't really notice them but if they bother you perhaps you could disguise them?!

design for mankind. said...

oooh, clip-ons! You are so so great! :)

And I LOVE your work space. Hope it's brighter where you are---

beki said...

Shoot, I wish I hadn't just drained my paypal account because I am loving those!!

pricklypearbloom said...

oh my god, those colors are just luscious!

Mrs.French said...

Your workspace is wonderful! I now want a full-on tour!

Joslyn said...

i love your workspace...there's nothing more inspiring that a great desk area...

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

you have come so far from the dining room table.
the other day I was wearing the "housewarming" earrings you sent me + got rave complements. Of course I did, you are just too great!