4.10.2008

All Quiet...

on the Pacific Northwestern front.*



My parents are coming to Portland tomorrow for a visit that I have been happily anticipating for weeks now. Pre-parent preparations are in full swing - I took a toothbrush and bleach to the shower grout, have gotten on my hands and knees to scrub the floors, and am about to embark on a serious laundry mission - which is why things have been a little quiet 'round the old blog recently. I plan to be quiet here for the next week or so as well, while Barry and I show my parents what a beautiful city we've moved to. If any of you are fiending for earrings, though, have no fear. I'll be updating the sulu-design etsy shop little by little each day, even while my parents are here, since I've been working on lots of new pieces recently. I'll see you back here in a week or so, when it'll be time to start preparing for a visit from Barry's parents. I love an excuse to scrub grout!

*I must admit that I never read the book that this post title refers to, although it was assigned reading in a history class I took my first year in college. Until that point, I was a pretty serious student and never would have skipped reading an assigned book. But freshman year threw me for a loop, being away from home in living in New York City and all, and I did some... ahem... pretty uncharacteristic things. I'll never forget the day we discussed this book in class. You'd think I would have sat in the back and tried to make myself as unnoticeable as possible since I didn't have a clue about the content of the book. Instead, I sat myself right up front and decided to chime in to the discussion. Oh, the nerviness of youth. At one point, I got so passionate about whatever the heck I was saying that I dramatically moved my hand and knocked my unread copy of the book off my desk. In a total slow motion scene, my book, fresh and clean as the day I'd bought it weeks prior, sailed down to the ground - with the eyes of everyone in the room fixated upon it - and landed with a thud that punctuated the declaration: "Look, professor! Look, students! My spine hasn't been cracked! My pages haven't been turned! I am unread!" Traitor.

23 comments:

Kijar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
JanelleGrace said...

Don't click that link!!!

But you might want to turn on some word verification.

(And wow, those are some skies!!!)

mariss said...

Oh, Susan. What an appropriate post when I've been spring cleaning my bookshelf at home, tormented about the books I did not finish, and have no intent on ever finishing. (That means you, "The Sound and the Fury!!!"

Your story is hilarious, and the pictures gorgeous. Have an excellent time with your parents! Remember when we were young and our moms would clean for guests and we didn't get it? That one has hit me in the butt ;)

By the way, I was at dinner with my knitting pals last night. A friend was admiring your earrings on our pal, and before you know it, an iphone was out and people were checking out your etsy site. LOL. :)

Um, back to work for me. Sorry for the longest.comment.ever.

junkdrawer said...

gorgeous photos!!!! I did the same thing in my history seminar in college...except I was a senior. 12 people, sitting around a table. Total BS. totally caught. oh well. Good luck scrubbin tile.

Beulah Sorensen said...

Have an awesome time with your folks in my favorite city!

Wende said...

Have a terrific weekend... the weather is going to be absolutely perfect. :D Enjoy.

Chickenbells said...

Oh...I didn't read the Cantebury Tales all the way through and ROCKED a essay test. The prof. made me actually read my answer to one of the questions outloud to the class because I'd had such a great grasp of the book. I honestly sat there stunned as I read the words thiking, "well...this girl knows what she was talking about!" Good grief.

rachel said...

hope you have a great time with your parents this weekend! it always seems more "real" when you've moved to a new city when you show your parents around.

maritza said...

Hope you have a wonderful visit with your parents. Those photos are lovely; I'm especially smitten with the top one. And thanks for sharing that hilarious story.

Dog Gone said...

I love that gray black sky in the top shot. Your photographs just catch amazing views of this city.
Have fun with your families!

amandajean said...

hope you have a fun time with your parents! awesome photos, as always. especially loving the one with the 3 on the building.

Nicole said...

Lovely photos today. Thanks for sharing.

Erin said...

Look at that black cloud in the top photo. Pretty incredible pictures.

Enjoy your time with your parents. I am sure they will appreciate all your nice clean grout while they are there :o)

andrea (scout) said...

oh susan, you crack me up. although i've been cleaning up a blue streak lately too, with dust at the top of my hit-list. :) i hope you have a wonderful time with your parents, and that portland is all aglow in sunlight the whole time they're here! (we can dream anyway.)

ambika said...

This made me smile; I know there are books I didn't read but I don't know if I had the chutzpah to passionately discuss them in class. That's fantastic.

shari said...

enjoy your time susan. i need to do some serious spring cleaning over here. xox

pricklypearbloom said...

Awesome story, that made me smile. It's funny what freshman year does to you... me too. :)

holly said...

I LOVE that beautiful, moody sky in the first photo post! so beautiful.
And you are crazy! your home is probably cleaner than a dog's mouth (you know how they always say how clean dog's mouths are - random).
Happy Friday - enjoy your visit with your cute and supportive parents. :)

house on hill road said...

funny story!

how was the race?

Melissa said...

you said fiending. ha!

Those little punks will be in your head forever!!

Check it out:
www.urbandictionary.com

Dumuro said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Robyn said...

I didn't read it until last year. i figured, I'm an English teacher. I should read this. Anyways, I hope you have a great time with your parents in town. That top picture is so beautiful, btw.

design for mankind. said...

HA. That's hilarious, Susan! :)