3.19.2008

What I Did On My Computer Vacation

Too many days of Original Intent posts have made me feel a bit disconnected from you guys. Two photos and an etsy listing don't add up to being in touch and I'm feeling out of the loop. However, those quick-to-write Original Intent posts have allowed me to stick with my self-imposed computer restrictions, and the benefits have been great. Oh, the hours I've gained! I've finished Bridge of Sighs by Richard Russo, Eats Shoots and Leaves by Lynne Truss (highly recommended to you punctuation sticklers - ahem, Mom), and started Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky. I've enjoyed lots of late night walks and early morning runs with Barry. I've seen parts of Portland that I'd never seen before. I've been cooking up a storm. And I've been busy with jewelry: Tumbleweed in Portland, Flirt and Sodafine in Brooklyn, Loveday 31 in Queens, Liebling in Sweden, and JetSet in Richmond are all well-stocked with new sulu-design pieces. Pieces... not just earrings.
A recent request by Hannah, one of a few gals with non-pierced ears who's contacted me about making pieces of jewelry other than earrings, started me off on a necklace-making spree:



The necklaces above and others like them can now be found in Portland at Tumbleweed and FYI, the latest boutique in Portland's Pearl District to be carrying my designs as of yesterday. You can also find a few sulu-design necklaces in my etsy shop, too:





I'll be back soon with earrings (some of which are a bit matchy with these necklaces, although my personal taste tells me not to mention that). I hope you all are well. Nice to finally be in touch again. And now that I've gone on and on, how are you, friends? What's keeping you busy?

19 comments:

alyson. said...

I think these are my favorite yet. I love the wooden pieces.

Sarah said...

Congrats on being in so many shops! I love love love the second necklace down!

Rachel said...

Susan -- I'm loving these necklaces. Congrats on getting away from the computer and being productive in life! If you ever need another coffee/bagel break at Kenny&Zuke's, let me know.

-rachel.

Artsy Momma said...

Its so nice to have you back! (though I totally understand the reasons for a break)

Leila is keeping me busy, and the hope for Spring to be here in Wisconsin soon. Spring cleaning is on the mind non-stop.

love the addition of the new product cant wait to add some necklaces to the mix!

Connie said...

susan i love the first necklace! too bad it was swiped up already! {i'm actually doing some beading myself and making a necklace with large bronze rings myself!} glad you're back

mariss said...

Well it's about damn time! The necklaces are wonderful! I can hear the accolades and orders rolling in ;)

Glad you enjoyed your week "off".

Beulah Sorensen said...

Hmmm... Necklace? Earrings? Necklace? Earrings? How about BOTH! I love the new product line.

Kat - Taylor Made designs said...

Your new designs are wonderful! I can see them being a real success. Good for you Susan :)

Oh I read Suite Francais a few months back and loved it. She is dead on with her observations of people, it's uncanny. I hope you enjoy it too.

Mom said...

Am anxious to read Bridge of Sighs and am hoping that is your copy of Eat Shoots and Leaves which I would like to borrow. That book was highly recommended to me by Sr. Jeanne - she too is aware of my penchant for punctuation, object of the preposition, and singular or plural verb matching the subject and the object!

Hope your weather is better than ours and that you and Barry have a wonderful Easter. Love, Mom

beki said...

It sounds like your break did you some good! I'm so excited to hear that you're doing pieces, I love necklaces :)

hannah said...

yay for necklaces! um, not that your earrings aren't gorgeous. but yay!

Abby said...

lovely.... it sounds like you have had a wonderful time. I love your new necklace spree.... beautiful really.

c.rachel said...

Wow, you've done tons!
Love the necklaces--can't wait to see more of your pieces!

angie said...

BEAUTIFUL work Susan! All this blogging does take a lot of time. Welcome back. Hope to see you at my show in April at Idom. :)

LeeAnn said...

I love these necklaces you've made. I am one of your non-pierced ears fan club. :)

ease between notches said...

The necklaces are SO BEAUTIFUL!! And I think it's great that you did what you needed to take care of yourself and "refill the well" - obviously it was the right thing to do!!

picperfic said...

oh my, necklaces now and the one I had my eye on has sold already! Clever you...as for what's keeping me busy, well, apparently there are just 29days to go!

Chickenbells said...

What a wonderful and productive break! Hey...I think I actually own a fish necklace you made ages ago...Ohhhh, I just love that thing...I can't wait to wear it this summer!!

amandajean said...

good for you to stick with your self imposed computer restrictions. not an easy task. but refreshing to have more hours in the day. (and in my case, when I am disciplined enough, a cleaner house!)

love the necklaces!