3.17.2008

Friends and Neighbors

For a quite a while now, I've been meaning to put together a couple posts about two ladies who are doing some truly impressive, creative work. I've finally written it, but the two posts I intended to write have become one. Meet Terry and Julie:

Humor me while I connect some dots in my relationship with the first lady. The little sneak peek of our apartment by Design*Sponge that was posted a few months ago put Barry and I in touch with some former neighbors of ours from Astoria, Queens. During the time we lived in Astoria, we didn't know these particular neighbors very well... you know, we said hello to each in the hallway kinda thing. During the time we lived in the same building, though, we didn't know of any crafty connection that we'd come to discover after we'd moved. Terry, who lives in our former building, saw the D*S sneak peek and noticed references to spots in her neighborhood, so she knew that whoever this "sulu" character was had once lived close to her. Her husband, Bruce, had run into me and Barry the day we were moving out of our Astoria apartment, so he knew that Susan (but did not know "sulu") and Barry were heading out to Portland. We'd exchanged e-mail addresses that day since he and Terry would be in Portland in the following months, and we promised to be in touch. Terry and Bruce put the D*S post together with our faces and then with my blog, and we began to exchange more frequent e-mails. When the two of them came to Portland to run the marathon here, we all got together for breakfast one morning. Terry arrived wearing the most smashing, dramatic, and all-around fabulous hat I'd ever seen. It turns out she made the hat, and has an etsy shop full of similar ones. Check this lady's blog and shop out. To think - all that time we were living in the same building and we could have been having craft nights together! Sheesh.

Right about that time that Barry and I quit our jobs and headed out here to Portland, my good friend Julie was coincidentally making some major life changes, too. Julie and I became fast friends several years ago when we were placed together as roommates our freshman year of college. We clicked immediately. It was kinda scary how perfectly destined for friendship we were. This past summer, Julie quit her job as a lawyer to pursue a dream of hers - writing a novel. Always being one to promote the joys of blogging, I recently rambled on and on to her about what a great blog topic her process would make. And now, she's posting all about her writing and things related to it on her blog, Anything for Material. Her humor, keen observations, and thoughtful reflections come through in her blog posts, so I hope you'll check them out.

Cheers to these two awesome ladies, and a happy week to you all!

8 comments:

Patty said...

thanks, Susan! it's nice to get to know your talented friends!
hope you're doing fine!

xs

Michelle said...

Oh yeah, I love new blogs, and if you recomend them, then they have to be great. Kudos to your talented friends.

amandajean said...

I love hearing small world stories. too bad you didn't meet your neighbor earlier....it would have been fun to have craft nights together.

ease between notches said...

I love Julie's blog - thanks for sharing her info!

mariss said...

How crazy is that?! Since we know how much you enjoy coincidence...wow!

And good luck to your friend with her book :)

Kat - Taylor Made designs said...

aww, how fun would it have been for you two to have craft night together? I will check out their blogs for sure! thanks and have a super week + weekend!

Lesley said...

Just went over to see the hats - wow! They're fantastic! And to think that you were living so close together. Crazy small world we live in!

Dog Gone said...

Wow, it always amazes me just how small the world really is and chuck full of creative, interesting and fun women! No offense to the guys, of course. I really like how the Internet & particularly the blog world highlights these incredible talented women out there, like you, Susan! Thx for sharing.