3.31.2008

Act Your Age Not Your Shoe Size

A totally random post for me this Monday morning: it is in fact about shoes, which I don't comment on much if at all here (unless I'm begging for help in the boots for wide calves department). But seeing as I got together this weekend with one of the queens of good shoe taste, I think a little shoe diversion is acceptable. The adorable Ambika of (Into) the Fray - her blog and etsy shop - was in Portland this weekend and was sweet enough to get in touch with me, so we got together for bagels and coffee. Yes, I said bagels. I have officially found my NYC bagel substitute. But I digress. Ambika is super charming, easy to talk to, and the girl brought me fresh coffee beans. If you know me, you know that makes her a keeper in my book. Perhaps the good shoes aura that she emanates affected me somehow, because I've had shoes on the brain recently.
Two recent shoe incidents have made me aware that I am in the process of going over a serious maturity hump. First, Barry (who, honestly, could write a book on properly fitting running shoes) convinced me that I needed a new pair of sneakers as the ones I run in are really worn down. I'd been holding out for a while, searching for a pair that wasn't totally offensive to my eye (read: searching for a pair that wasn't white) while still offering the type of support that my feet need. I wanted black. I'd settle for gray. Both colors can be found in trail shoes. I don't need trail shoes. I caved in and ended the search last week with the most awful-looking white sneakers ever made. Really, guys, they're old man sneakers. Wretched. But they're comfortable, so I don't really care. I can't believe I said I don't care.

Second shoe-involved maturity incident: This weekend, I decided to finally get rid of the beauties above, the perfect-looking shoe in my opinion, because the heels are too high for me. I'd worn them once, and winced the entire time. But I'm parting with them for comfort's sake, again. I'm hoping to get to the consignment shop right when they open this morning so I can't change my mind on these.
I'll be back tomorrow - I've got lots of blove (blog + love?) to spread around this week.

17 comments:

april said...

You're so brave, Susan! I would keep them around forever, even if I don't/can't wear them... like those 4.5 inch Miu Miu boots that make me walk like a monkey in heels! At least I can stand around looking hot!

The Monkey House Chronicles said...

I just got a new pair of Saucony runners that are gray. Suuuuuper comfy. I highly recommend them!

JanelleGrace said...

I wear Saucony Jazz sneakers and I love them. (Mine are blue and green!)

I also love those shoes, I am not good at getting rid of items that I never wear.

LeeAnn said...

I went shoe shopping last Thursday. Came home with a arm full of clothes but no shoes. I am looking for a pair of round toe (possibly some fun colors) shoes with about an 1'' wedge that I can walk in all day. I am committed to hemming all my work trousers if I can find the right shoe for the job! (and not have them look like my grannie would wear them.)

erinn said...

I am going through a similar shoe maturity phase. Mostly I am just relenting that I cannot wear the heels like I could a few years ago and not wanting to be like my is grandmother now when I am an octogenerian. Lots of flat shoes in my future.

amandajean said...

hurray for good blogger meet ups, and for good bagels! too bad that you have to give up those cute shoes. but the pain really isn't worth it, is it?

house on hill road said...

why are all running shoes ugly? i just don't get it. i felt pretty old when i had to get orthopedic inserts for mine. oy. that said, it took care of some shin splints.

holly said...

You are too funny! I too made the practical change in my shoe selections and both my feet and my husband couldn't be happier. Don't you worry - I know some sassy yet comfy shoes and sneakers will find their way to you. Happy Monday! And by the way - your sneakers are cute.

Chickenbells said...

Oh shoes...sigh. I just love them, but I have too many (almost) I was actually going through mine this weekend, and did get rid of one pair...and honestly? I just noticed the coffee stains on my white New Balance exercise sneakers upon getting on a weight machine today...so, if tan is your thing, may I suggest becoming clumsy and spilling on your feet?

ease between notches said...

I completely understand! Shoes are soooo difficult for me! They must be the absolutely right height (this means low), but not depress me by looking anything remotely like nun shoes, must be adorable, and comfortable. Oh, and not too expensive. No wonder I almost never buy them! And speaking of bagels, Bruce and I went to Brooklyn Bagels this morning and I got a whole wheat everything. Of course, I thought of you :)

Feli said...

OMG I love those shoes. They are beautiful.

It takes a lot for me to find a favourite pair and if I do find one I will wear them until the very end. :*)

Ann said...

Hi, I found your site on the "help" section of blogger. I am having the same problem that i think you had. I changed the format of my blog and now all my sentences (months of work!!!) are squished together. It looks like someone put their hand on the top and bottom of each paragraph and squeezed them together!!! I tried to read and understand the replies to your question (wow!). It looks like you were able to solve your problem. Did you have to go in and change the html code on each post??? Help!! :o)

Ann

mia said...

well, now I know what Barry and Josh can talk about should we ever get to Portland...

I run in Merrel Overdrives. Yes, they are trail running shoes. They are super lightweight, often on sale, and come in not-totally-hideous.

and by "run" I mean on wimpy machines in my astoriarific marble-encrusted gym.

c.rachel said...

Those are fantastic shoes! But I understand the heels being too high. I remember a time when i could wear heels like all day and nothing hurt [about 13 years ago!]. Now my toes kill, the arches ache, and I get a zinging pain up my spine. Let me say that I don't wear heels alot now.

Bye bye lovely shoes!

Felicia said...

Yep, life is too short to wear painful shoes :)

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

Ah! Ambika. She has hinted at a trip to KY, in which I have every intention of meeting with her somewhere along the KY/TN border. It's funny because I was thinking you two lived in the same city, but of course you don't. Duh! you'd think I had never traveled up the Pacific Coast.
Once Tom got fitted for running shoes it was all over!

Kelly said...

Uh...what size were these and are they really gone?! I would love them!!!!