2.25.2008

Recipe Schmrecipe

I lied. When I said I'd returned from Richmond with a few new recipes, I should have said that I returned with a few new cooking ideas, based on one particularly good dish (Brussels sprouts with shallots, hazelnuts, and finished with a squeeze of lemon juice) that my father-in-law prepared. Ideas like: I should be eating more leafy green vegetables. I should rely, at least for everyday meals, less on fancy schmancy recipes and go with what I already know from my own kitchen experience (thanks, Mom, for the years of kitchen training). And I should work with what I've got.
So for the past week, that's what I've been doing. Some pretty tasty dishes have resulted, if I do say so myself. We've had pasta with broccolini, anchovies, hot pepper, and shallots. Kale with roasted pine nuts and currants. And spicy cabbage with celery, carrots, and onions.

Frequent trips to the grocery store for fresh produce were already habit here, and I make the trips quick by always keeping a few commonly used ingredients on hand. I'm never without anchovies, tomatoes and various tomato products, lots of nuts (almonds, pine nuts, and hazelnuts in particular), currants and golden raisins, hot spices, shallots, and onions, all of which perk up vegetables nicely. And to prove that I'm acclimating myself well to Portland, I offer you a photo of the canvas bags that I carry it all home in. But have no worry, New York City friends. I still bust out my granny cart every now and then. You know, to keep it real. Happy eating.

P.S. A pair of sold Original Intent earrings have been relisted in my etsy shop...

21 comments:

c.Rachel said...

I so love brussels sprouts...my kiddos are liking them too. I do pair it with bacon bits though.

I'm going to have to try and ad-lib that one from your father-in-law.

Rachel said...

i desperately need a granny cart! being car-less and schlepping groceries home is getting oooold. hope you're doing well :)

-rachel d. from "spaces"

Mom said...

Mmmm, the brussels sprouts sound delicious that way - will try that next time instead of the splash of balsamic!

And speaking of bags, I have 3 cloth/fabric Heinen ones, use them all the time because good to eliminate plastic for the planet and ALSO they give you $.06 credit for each bag -as good as a coupon which I use too (as you well know)!

The lady across from Paw Paw took the granny cart or I might have been tempted!

Love, Mom

Kat - Taylor Made designs said...

We never use the plastic or paper grocery bags. We've been using our recycling bags for over a year now and I feel so good about it :)

Your descriptions of your food sound sublime. You sure eat health and well! I'm sure Davis would love brussel sprouts, but William - he would never even try them :(

amandajean said...

you are so funny. I can almost picture you with your granny cart. :) I, too, need to try that brussel sprouts "recipe"...sounds tasty.

shy_smiley said...

That's the way I like to eat, too. I use far fewer recipes than I used to and usually end up making something from staples I keep on hand: something southwestern with ground turkey, beans, and green chiles or something Italian with pasta, garlic, and prosciutto. Sounds like my prosciutto is your anchovies. And our favorite brussels sprouts prep is butter, real maple syrup, shallots, and roasted chestnuts. It's become a holiday tradition. I admire your dedication to eating more leafy greens. I have a decent diet but need to eat more vegetables in general.

leya said...

two things: brussel sprouts are pure goodness, especially with a little lemon. yum.
also, granny cart pushers unite. mine is parked and ready for adventure at any given moment. xo, leya

ease between notches said...

Yum! I love lemon added to almost anything!!

I usually take my granny cart AND my reusable bags, just to cover all my bases.

OfTroy said...

roast squash (winter squash)with apples, and dried cranberries (season with rosemary and lemon) are another good blend..

do you have a trader Joe's nearby?
one just opened (on metropolitan Avenue by woodhaven Blvd) and i love their selection of nuts/seeds.

they have the best prices on pine nuts, and pumpkin seeds, and dried cranberries, (and blueberries, and cherries..) --i have been going to seed of late.. sesame seed, pinola, pepito's, (celery, fennel, poppy...)

but alas, while they have named varieties of almolds, (several!) no hazelnuts.. (one of my favorites too!)

abbyjane said...

Oooh, those earring are so beautiful!

dash said...

hey girl- I knew that you sold in a Richmond shop and I was curious about your connection to the city- now I know. I lived there for 8 years and went to VCU! I'm hoping to visit in the spring- it's long overdue.

house on hill road said...

i love brussels sprouts.

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

The granny cart is key to good farmers markets and flea market excursions.

and mom is right- balsalmic!

laundrygirl said...

We have a granny cart too!

picperfic said...

I've got a Granny cart from Ikea, I have to say that I've not used it yet!

Bitterbetty said...

I have a little red wagon instead of the granny cart but mostly because with my fabulous grey hairs.. the granny cart and the support hose are all I can avoid.

I bet you make that granny cart look good!

If you cook, I'll bar-tend. I'll be there at 6:00.

mariss said...

Why do I think you are so cool, Susan? Because you will sound so refined, and then insert,"Ima gonna bust out my granny cart!" LOVE it.

Yay for new ingredients! I used all my vegetables last night, but it was not as inspiring as what's going on in your kitchen ;)

Erin said...

it all sounds so yummy. Love the photo too.

kait said...

mmm, you're making me hungry! I think I may have to try some of these ideas....

Lesley said...

Ooh that's a coincidence. I have some kale in the fridge and I've never bought it before. Was wondering what to do with it. How do you cook it with the pine nuts and currants? I've got both in the cupboard so could do that.

p.s love your granny cart! :-)

anna/village vegan said...

Mmmmm. Sounds like you come up with pretty good things from your pantry! I need to get into that habit, too, actually-- just cooking with the things that I have on hand, instead of always trying new recipes! Better for the budget, and will probably increase culinary creativity!