2.22.2008

Beginning to See the Light

Cue Velvet Underground (hit play once you're there)...
Taking some time off yesterday gave me the space to get a few things in order in my head. For a long time now, I've been thinking about making changes to the way I approach this whole blogging thing - both posting my own and reading the blogs of others. I have slipped into spending many hours on the computer each day, and have as a result sacrificed things that are important to me - spending time with Barry, reading (as in reading print on actual paper, not on a screen) and taking walks with my camera. I've considered changing the way I deal with comments, I've thought about limiting my posts, and I've toyed with the idea of scrapping it all together. But blogging has brought far too much good into my life to throw in the towel, so I thought long and hard yesterday about managing my time better in order to let blogging remain in my life without swallowing it whole. I've got a few plans in place now, like limiting my computer use to specific hours and cleaning out my bloglines account a bit (I mean, do I really need to check in daily on the coolest type fonts around, or on photos of women biking in Denmark?) which I hope will get me back to a happy blogging place. And no, dear friends, living on the west coast has not changed me - I use the phrase happy blogging place with a huge sarcastic sneer on my face. I wish you all a wonderful weekend, chock full of lots of lovely non-virtual experiences.

17 comments:

Bitterbetty said...

I hear ya, lady..
Balance. Where does it get off to?

Happy Blogging Place. heh.

Hope I make the cut! :)

shari said...

lovely photo. glad you had some time to yourself yesterday. i am working on reducing computer time too. xox

amandajean said...

I hear ya, too! (And can I just say that I am so glad that you are not throwing in the towel all together.)

kait said...

Oh, yes, how easily 20 bazillion subscriptions can creep into one's bloglines when one has a naturally broad curiosity!! Hear, hear, for moderation!

holly said...

I love your picture!! will this perhaps be an original intent someday... hope so!
i just love your blog and am happy to hear you are going to keep at it.

Wende said...

I'm with Bethany... hoping I make the cut. But I understand if I don't. There really just isn't enough time in the day to read everyone and life off line is certainly worth living, eh? :D

Blessings on the journey.

Carol Emma said...

Oh, I hear ya too!!!
I've just finished posting an announcement of impending blog-neglect, after considering giving it up completely!
Wishing you an abundance of time to enjoy your life away from the computer!!

Erin said...

I think we all agree with you Susan. It's about finding a fine balance. I struggle with the same issues but like you have come to the conclusion that real life takes presedence over the blog. I am glad you had time to figure it all out, and all in one day too! I am impressed! Have a wonderful weekend. I hope you have some of this wonderful Sun that we have here on the West Coast.

c.rachel said...

Glad to hear you've got some plans to finding your happy blogging place.

I really enjoy your blog...your photos, writings, earrings, your creativity. I'm happy you're still going to blog.

Here's to finding a good balance!

house on hill road said...

balance is hard to find, but i am sure you will. i am working on it too.

Carol Emma said...

lol...I so enjoyed your comment this morning on my blog...in sync indeed!
I'm sure it must be early onset spring fever!
Can't tell you how it tickles me that you've been reading my blog since yours was the very first one on my 'must read daily' list! It's just a great blog! But go ahead and take all the time off you need - the anticipation will make it even more enjoyable :)

Connie said...

Susan, I understand where you're coming from. I understand it so much that a few months ago I stopped blogging, but I'm back for the same reason that you don't want to give it up- a lot of good has entered my life because of it. i hope you find a happy medium

Chickenbells said...

Take your time back indeed...it's OK to do what is most comfortable for you...And, I'm certainly glad you're not throwing the towel in...lucky us!!

amisha said...

i am dealing with this exact same thing, susan... how to keep up without spending all my time online! it is a struggle but slowly getting more manageable... your suggestions about limiting to certain times of the day/ editing bloglines sound great. xox

Shona~ LALA dex press said...

Yes, I am a firm believer in moderation, well except when it comes to fun times + days of sunshine!
And might I add that you really seem to have found a wonderful place in the world- a boss who recognizes that you need a day for yourself.

elegantmusings said...

Oh my! This is so weird that you posted about this... its seriously the second or third blog I've read today talking about finding the elusive "blogging balance"! I totally agree with you; I'm having the worst time lately with spending way too much time online. I need to give some serious thought to cleaning up my internet schedule a bit. ;)

I'm so glad you didn't decide to just end your blog--I would have missed it a lot!! :)

ease between notches said...

I know what you mean - I go back and forth about it all the time. But I'm always trying to simplify and balance and it sounds like you have a good plan. I just keep trying to remember to use "and" not "or" and it seems to work out.