1.09.2008

Ch..Ch..Ch..Changes

I've been thinking about making some changes to the way I manage my etsy shop for quite a while now, and the start of a new year seemed like the perfect time finally take the plunge. So here I go.

Posting the listings for my earrings on etsy had begun to take considerable time away from the precious hours that I have to actually make earrings, so I've decided to make duplicate pairs of some of the designs that will be available in the shop. The duplicate pairs can be listed all at once, as opposed to the tedious one pair at a time routine, which will keep the shop better stocked and keep sulu more sane. First problem solved.

The second change wasn't as easy for me. Most earrings in my shop have been listed at $14 per pair or less. The increase in postal rates that took effect last year have impacted my expenses since I don't charge a shipping fee. Leaving New York City has meant an increase in expenses, too. While there are several bead wholesalers in New York, I haven't found one here in Portland, so I've been buying beads at higher retail prices while I explore options of buying beads on-line. I am relying on my NYC source for hooks and pins and such, so I'm also paying shipping costs that weren't a factor before. I'm hoping that a one dollar increase in cost per pair will be enough to offset some of these new expenses without being too much of a stretch for my loyal etsy shoppers. Fingers crossed.

I'm a bit anxious to see how these changes will work out. For now, I leave you with my first designs to be affected by them. Click images below for direct links to their sulu-design shop listings.


If you want to hear about shop updates immediately after they happen, you can e-mail me at sulu-design@hotmail.com and put "shop update" in the message. I'll be happy to add you to my mailing list, and you'll hear about shop updates a day or two before I post about them here on the blog. Thanks, friends. Now, Wednesday is my weekend, so I'm off to explore lovely Portland. Have a great day.

21 comments:

mariss said...

$1!! I don't think any of your loyal buyers would mind :) Even if you raised it a few dollars!!

Good luck, and the new earrings are gorgeous, as usual.

maritza said...

I think those changes will work out beautifully. And those new earrings look fantastic!

Tracy said...

Lovely, and good luck with your changes!

Bobbypin Bandit said...

There is a local coffee shop in Tucson that raised their prices by 50 cents without warning anyone and you would have thought there was a bomb warning. What I mean to say, is that it is very considerate of you to be a good business person and let everyone know what's up. Although I have to agree with Mariss and say that I don't think your sales will be negatively affected. May the new year bring you large etsy sales...and keep a happy and sane Sulu, as well!

ease between notches said...

I think raising your prices by $1 is more than reasonable - and the new earrings are just beautiful! I think your work is always a bargain anyway and I know I'm happy to pay more for them. Who would have thought that moving OUT of NYC would increase your expenses - go figure! If I can ever be of any help securing supplies, please do not hesitate to ask. I'm often out and about in the city and am happy to pick things up and ship them out to you (and this absolutely includes whole wheat everything bagels from Brooklyn Bagels!)

Wende said...

$15 for a pair of earrings you really want is still a deal---especially since shipping is free!! :D

Oh... just so you know, the link to your store right above the first photo is missing "etsy" in its address, so it comes up as an error page.

Erin said...

I agree Susan. $1 is no big deal. Your earrings are so beautiful and well worth the increase. Infact, I think you could increase a few dollars and people would still be happy to buy Sulu-design. We all understand about operating costs! Good luck my dear!

HG said...

A DOLLAR INCREASE!! Still a steal :)

amandajean said...

I would have to agree with everyone else by saying that your earrings are still very reasonably priced...and I love the new ones you added, especially the ones that look like little coins...oh, my they are cute!!! I'm all for a sane sulu as well. :)

luv Abby said...

ohhhh susan thats wonerful. I wanted to order some of your older design but I wasn't wusre if you did reproductions or just one off's.... everything looks so beautiful... I hope to order very soon.
luv Abby

feli said...

I agree with the rest. I don't think increasing $1 will make a difference. I mean everything is going up these days. My local deli increase everything on the 1st January without us knowing and I was shock to pay $4.50 for a Ham and Cheese croissant when I usually pay $3 for it.

Also about the listing the earrings on etsy. I found out that I have a huge problem with that too. I do not have a lot of time in a day to list everything down. I guess my plan is this year is to try to list at least 2 things in the shop per week. hopefully that will increase as I go down the track.

Miss Twiss said...

Your prices are hardly a difficulty when considering how pretty they are in our jewelery boxes! You are considerate to explain it to your customers.

Nadia said...

I love the wood ones! So warm.

I would definitely pay an extra dollar for my Sulu earrings.

dash said...

Hi Susan,

You might try All Seasons in San Francisco- allseason.com or Ritual Adornments in Santa Monica. Not close by, but on your coast. R.A. is my former employer, and I stop in once a year when visiting. Their volume discounts are so good, it's worth it for me to stock up once a year.

Christine Edwards said...

You should never have to justify your pricing. Besides, your items are so moderately priced in the first place. I also don't think anyone expects you to cover shipping costs of any item they purchase. Just my 2 cents.

elegantmusings said...

Don't feel bad about having to raise prices!! I'm sure everyone will understand, and frankly, your beautiful work is worth far more than you charge!! :)

Dog Gone said...

My friends that design & make jewelry use Rio Grande for findings & beads/jewels...all wholesale. Here's the online link, but get a paper catalog...easier to wade through.
www.riogrande.com

Going up a bit higher in prices happens in all businesses as all things go up. I don't think that's a problem at all. Your earrings are fabulous!
See you soon. Am in Utah right now :).

shy_smiley said...

your earrings are worth it, and I especially love the turquoise and red ones (one of my favorite color combinations). I'd list more on eBay if it weren't so danged time consuming...

lealou said...

$1 is more than reasonable! Best wishes this New Year

Lesley said...

More than reasonable I think and a great idea to make more than one pair of each. Why not? It would be an amazing coincidence to bump into someone who was wearing the same sulu-design earrings! An instant friendship would surely develop! All those new pairs are gorgeous. Good luck with it all, I'm sure it will all work out great.

alyson. said...

wow, your earrings are gorgeous. thanks for happening upon my blog, it is nice to find other professionals in Portland! :)